Is a 30 pound thrust trolling motor enough?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sconnie12

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm newer to the boards, so I'm assuming that this topic has been asked before but I couldn't find opinions from the search thread. I have a 14' alumacraft and I'm wondering if a minn kota trolling motor with 30 lb. thrust will be ok? I have a really good price on one, but if I won't be going anywhere on a windy day I think I'd rather pass and find one that is more powerful.

Thanks for any help,

-Brian

A 30 lb would be borderline on a 14' boat. It will do the job but will struggle in the wind and waves. I wouldn't go any less than a 40 lb if it is your main motor for getting around. I run a 55 on my 14' which is fairly heavy with all the mods I have done. I could have gotten by with a 45 but I like the extra umph in bigger water. But it is not my main motor either, just for trolling and fishing.

i have a 30 on my 14.5 and it rarely goes past the 3rd setting.if its that windy i switch to gas power.trolling in strong wind is a pain any way you power.if you run 1 battery it runs down fast in a strong wind especially with a 50#. 2 deep cycles and a 50 is close to the same cost as a used 2 stroke.

It depends where you have the motor. Transom or bow? If its for the transom, then I would hold off and find a bigger one. As said before if wind and waves come up you will wish you had more power. I had a 50lb thrust on the transom of my 14 footer and it worked will in all conditions. I was easily able to get a full day of fishing in without completely draining the battery. You don't always have to use the full power setting.

I run a bow mount #30 on my 1652 without any issues so far. It has 5 speeds and I normally run on 1 or 2 if it's windy I might use 3 if I want to most a distance fast then 4 or 5 so far I have had no issues. If I run down the battery or the winds get really bad I still have the outboard as a backup.

If I were buying a new one I would probably go a little bigger to have some more reserve.

I think mine is a 28. It works but if there is much wind forget it. I'd go with a 45 or bigger, you can always use a slower speed.

I have a 30lb minn Kota I use on my 14ft shallow car topper.. Works ok - moves about 3mph on top speed.. Really good at slow Walleye trolling speed.. Battery life has been ok, I go a weekend on a battery easy, and hook up a solar panel to help it out. But most of the time I'm on speed 1 or 2.

Rule of thumb is go as big as you can afford.. A 55lb would move your boat nicely and get good battery life.

I run a 46 bow on my 14' side console. Works great in the river. Plus I have one battery so it gets charged a little by the outboard.

Thanks for the input guys, it would be on the stern, and only used for trolling, I think I'll pass and look for something bigger...thanks!

Latest posts