Busted bolt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddychrist

Reaction score
Hey guys do you have any advice on removing a broken bolt? The previous owner didn't tell me about it and now I'm left to fix it.

I already know about easy out so that's already on the table, it's currently soaking in Silikroil so thats done too.

But drilling that thing out is being more than extremely tedious

This is what I've got so far

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343021752.456240.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1343021766.471069.jpg

Stainless is very hard to drill, but unfortunately it's really your only solution. You might be able to grind the head off with a small grinder and after removing the component that's bolted, use vice grips to rotate the remaining stud

Go get your self something like this..

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-pc-deck-out-screw-and-bolt/p-00952151000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Follow the directions and go slow.Heat the aluminum around the stainless.. it will expand and the bolt will release a little bit easier. Or if you can drill a small pilot hole in to it for the ez out to catch.. ive used them on a hand tool before and not a drill.. gives you more control.

Take your time.. they are essentially reverse drill bits.

They work and i have used them a few times over the years.

To bad the PO didn't tell you, thats what we get for buying used. Amazing he snapped a SS bolt off in aluminum, he must have been cranking on that thing.

I've got easy outs and plenty of um as I said before, the problem is drilling a SS bolt takes many man hours of just sitting constantly adding machine oil to keep it cool and not melt the drill bit

Either way the motor alone was worth more than my jet ski so it still was a good deal

Been there plenty of times, it sucks!

Get some good bits. I start with the smallest I can get by with. Drill threw, try an easy out, then step up a size or two with a LH bit. Keep repeating. If ya run out of bolt, stick a helicoil in it.

I steer clear of those cheap $10 easy out kits. Only thing as bad as drilling ss is drilling them things when they break.

I know you said you got em but those ones by sears are awesome.. I have shredded and broke cheapy ones that did more damage than good.

Yeah I've busted an el cheapo once, it is basically done at that point, there isn't a drill bit hard enough to drill out case hardened steel

Latest posts