Home made jacking plate

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpryGuy

Reaction score
I have a 1977 Chrysler 10HP model 102HD mounted on my 14 ft Ouachita Jon boat. The cavitation plate is sitting about 4 inches lower than the bottom of the boat. This motor does have a motor leg extension on it that I think I can take of which would raise the cavitation plate to the right height. My question is, would anyone recommend taking the extension off and trying it that way or using a jacking plate to raise the motor? If recommended to use a jacking plate does anyone have any threads or pictures of any homemade ones? I've seen them on here in the past but can't seems to find them anymore.

Check out the cost of shortening the shaft length, you may need to order parts. Making a home brew jack plate should run around $30 - $60, which will be likely less expensive than shortening your motor. I made a jack plate on my Landau and PK, pics only on the PK link though. For the Landau, I ordered 1/4" x 12" aluminum channel from fastenal, looks great and works like a charm.

Thanks Ictalurus, I don't think it would cost anything to take the spacer out, from looking at the schematics online it looks like its just a matter of 6 bolts and the extension shaft on the inside. Just don't want to mess it up.

SpryGuy said:
Thanks Ictalurus, I don't think it would cost anything to take the spacer out, from looking at the schematics online it looks like its just a matter of 6 bolts and the extension shaft on the inside. Just don't want to mess it up.

You may have to replace the drive shaft with a shorter version, I could be wrong on this though.

Yeah you will need the shorter drive shaft..... that is the costly part of the job, $100 bucks possibly for the shaft.

Shift shaft has to be shortened also.The higher you put your motor the center of gravity will make your boat little more tippy. [-X

crazymanme2 said:
Shift shaft has to be shortened also.The higher you put your motor the center of gravity will make your boat little more tippy. [-X

After looking at the schematic I think there is an extension on the shift shaft that can be taken off, I guess I'll find out when I get it apart. Worst case scenario I'll put it back together and use a riser. Good point about it effecting the center of gravity, I want to put a casting deck on it which is also a center of gravity concern so we'll see. Thanks for the input

here's a very easy to follow guide on making a jack plate out of aluminum angle, few bolts, a block of wood and a few common tools(drill, hacksaw, file....). ....provides up to 6 inches set back, vertical adjustment is 3 inches but can be easily modified by increasing the length of the angle bars and the adjustment slots.......the detailed plans are for sale, but it's very easy to make by simply following the 2 pages posted in the internet. i'm making one now out of stainless steel because i can't find the right size of aluminum (SS will work for me because my boat is wood/fiberglass, use aluminum angles only for aluminum boats)....

page 1
https://www.dillon-racing.com/jackplate/index.htm

page 2
https://www.dillon-racing.com/jackplate/plans/jack-plate-page-01.htm

did you see how height adjustment can be fine tuned? i think it's superior compared to the usual home made jack plate that is adjusted by moving bolts up or down a series of holes...

Latest posts