Thick oil/grease in lower...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharrison

Reaction score
1973 20hp Johnson model # 20r73a..

I pulled the drain plug and nothing came out at first. Then once I pull the top plug thick oil/grease came out. It didn't stink like burnt gear oil, That's why im thinking it may be grease. Anyone ever seen that?
I did flush some fresh gear oil through it and it seems it's clean now. But I didn't go any further. It shifts fine and everything turns smooth. Hoping someone put the wrong stuff in it and didn't run it after that. [-o< Yeah right..... #-o
Next i'm going to pull the lower off tomorrow and take it apart to check it all out, Just wanted to get some thoughts tonight.

Yes I was thankful for that. The last old motor I got I had to do a complete lower reseal and it was supposed to be all new and good to go.....

Hope this turns out good for once.

Thanks

You know some of the old outboards used white grease (105) in their lowers.(factory)

I have a 1956 55E Merc that uses 105.

crazymanme2 said:
You know some of the old outboards used white grease (105) in their lowers.(factory)

I have a 1956 55E Merc that uses 105.

Yeah I noticed that when I was searching. This one takes gear oil but maybe whoever did the last service thought it took grease. This stuff is black, But smells like regular grease not burnt.

I'll know for sure if anything is hurt tomorrow when I pull it apart. Want to check the water pump anyway..

Thanks

Here is what the inside looked like.

The gears and bushings looked good once I got it cleaned up, No metal inside and everything was tight. Seems the motor has fairly low hours on it. I resealed it and pressure checked it and all seems good. Went ahead and put a new impeller kit in it along with fresh oil.

No clue what was in there but it seemed like new stuff, No bad smell or gunk inside.

The motor runs great, So hopefully this was the only suprises it is going to throw at me for a while...

Attachments

• Sludge apart (Copy).jpg
    Sludge apart (Copy).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Sludge gears (Copy).jpg
    Sludge gears (Copy).jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 223

Latest posts