Jet vs Prop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLKLAB

Reaction score
With all things equal will a jet of equal hp still lack quite of bit of performance compared to a prop motor?

One of the jet guys may have a better answer, I think it takes aprox 15 hp to run the pump on the jet. So with equal hp and weight the prop motor will out preform the jet. I think each has their pros and cons

I think the rule of thumb is you'll loose about a third of your perceived power. I run a 70hp on a 1655, if it was a prop it would fly. It doesn't. ;)

Coming from Rangers - it is slow as molasses.... but it it works great in the water that I am fishing these days.

My 225 jet is 160hp (give or take a few hp) at the nozzle. If I was comparing it to a 150hp prop, it is somewhat lack luster in performance. For a jet the motor performs great, but a prop 150 should have more top end, as well as dig. I only see low 50s out of it, and with a prop 150 I would expect low to mid 60s.

Well I found my answer from outboard jets. You lose 30% hp to run the jet. For example a 50 is now a 35. But a 35hp jet will only have about 80% of a 35 props performance. So a 35 jet would perform like a 28 prop motor.

ull lose a bit of everything holeshot top end and the boat will slide when turning hard. but i mean unless u got 30 boats all launched at 1 time racing to a single spot at once whats a couple mph when u might be able to get those extra miles of unfishable water

Exactly.

It doesn't take any more power to run the jet foot. The jet just is a LOT less efficient in turning thrust into forward movement.

But the beauty is being able to run in literally inches of water where your prop drive buddies, even though they're faster, can only run in a foot & a half. They'll be sitting at the edge of the flats or shoals when you drive right by waving your hand at them.

Latest posts