2005 Johnson 40hp 2-stroke Jet power loss / bogging down

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivercity

Reaction score
2005 Johnson 40hp, J40RSOC, stern drive, "Jet Outboard" brand jet drive on 20 foot aluminum river boat appears to not be getting fuel. Motor previously submerged (see below).

Symptoms: sometimes boat runs fine but sometimes motor will not run much above idle. This weekend, the motor would not push the boat fast enough to keep up w/ 9.9 hp fiberglass rental boats (how humiliating!). Adding some choke sometimes restores some power and gets us home. Always starts quickly though and idles fine.

Done so far: a few months back it did this up river, and I pulled over on a gravel bar, pulled the cover and cleaned a bunch of black crud from the screen where the fuel line enters (about 2-inches in diameter behind a cover held on w/ a thumb screw). Ran great after this for several weekends. Decided fuel lines had deteriorated causing crud. Then tanks were stolen, so installed new tanks, connectors and hose. Screen has been checked regularly and is clean.

History: this motor was bought new in 2006 and the dealer had added the jet drive and possibly the electric starter as decoding J40RSOC says pull start. It actually belongs to my girl friend. Boat, trailer and motor (and 4-feet of the floor in the house!) were submerged in 2008 during a flood of the White River in northern Arkansas. Still some mud deposits inside the cover. According to her, local outboard mechanics did a basic clean up of the motor and got it running again and she has had no problems since except needing a new starter in 2009.

I assume either mud and/or black (rubber) crud has clogged up something further inside up to and possibly including the carb(s)? The boat has always been left at the river house which is two hours from our home. No local mechanic anymore. We brought it home yesterday so we can try and solve the problem. I have owned several outboards over the years but have never been inside one. Any suggestions?

It sounds like ethanol is eating the insides of your fuel lines. Older hoses need to be replaced with the newer type of hose that isn't "eaten" by the entenol. Measure carefully 'cause the new stuff is fairly expensive.....

Thanks Baily Boats, I replaced all lines outside of the motor. I think they are safe for ethanol but I will check now.

Are carbs something I should tackle myself?

No reason not to, IF you can lay hands on a decent shop manual. They should be available on the net. Just go slow and take pics if needed.....

Also, don't forget the 2 short lines inside the engine cowling....

Well, it is HER boat, and SHE decided I needed to take it to a local outboard shop, which is actually OK with me. Her concern was only two weeks between trips back up to the White River. Seems to think I am more eager to take on a project than I am to finish it! All because I took 5 years to finish a new master bathroom. But you can't fish out of a bathroom. No camparison. Oh well, she is paying for it too, so I can live w/ it.

Now I can concentrate on updating the trailer.

Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

Good news: Crud in the carbs, just needed to be cleaned out. Said he couldn't tell if it was black from hoses or from dunking it in the mud, but said it should be fine. Replacing all hoses.

Bad news: jet impeller and hosing were bad. Deep grooves and pits to the point he was concerned about adequate cooling water flow. Waiting on parts. At least it should run faster now!

Guess I'll be hangin at the River House this weekend doing honey-do's... unless I break down and rent a plastic-glass boat. Nahhhhh. My fishing license just expired anyway.

Got it back from shop yesterday and it runs great. Got back a good extra 10 mph. A little sputtering at lower speeds but runs like a scalded dog at WFO conditions.
Installed two carb kits, hoses, jet impeller and immediate housing around impeller (more like a sleeve) for 2.5 labor hours. Thought that was fair.

Hey Rivercity, I'm here in central AR and having problems like you described. Who did you take your engine to, I might want to have them check out mine?

jjstroz said:
Hey Rivercity, I'm here in central AR and having problems like you described. Who did you take your engine to, I might want to have them check out mine?

Tried posting w/ iphone as laptop wouldn't connect. For some reason reply wasn't posted.

I used Stan at Riverside Marine in Scott/NLR, one mile east of I-440 on old England Hwy. Recommended by friend/neighbor who is a major tightwad when it comes to paying for repairs (I know because he used to bring his wrecked cars to my body shop before I knew him well). They stay about 2 weeks behind. Bigger shop than I expected, but a lot of it is major machine work for a network of dealers. Stan runs the smaller service part w/ a few mechanics. I was pleased after getting over sticker shock for jet impellor/sleeve parts. Google for number or I will PM you if you like.

Thanks Rivercty! I know exactly who you are talking about and they are one of the two shops I'm considering.

Latest posts