Old props vs through hub props

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Rider

Reaction score
I have a buddy looking for a good outboard and has found a couple options. There is a late 70s vs the mid 80s. Both appear and run good but just curious the differences. I know the older prop will sit higher in the water, but is louder. As the older through hub is more quiet, but sits a lot lower. The only difference I have heard is the through hub is faster. But just thought I would see what y'all thought. Thanks.

I would go for the mid 80's one. I belive that from 85 on they were rated at the prop instead of the power head. meaning that an 80's 25 hp actually had more hp than a 70's 25 hp. I think that thru hub exhaust gives better hole shots and allows engine to breathe better. just my 2 cent

I have a modified 15' v-hull and have a 1987 Evinrude 25 hp motor on it that has thru hub exhaust. It does 25 mph on the GPS. I had a 1978 Evinrude 25 hp with non hub exhaust and I got 27 mph on the GPS. The tests were done on different days but I am sure the non thru hubs are just as fast as the thru hubs. The gear case is smaller so there is less drag so that could be a reason it was faster. The 1978 motor was pretty cherry and had less hours then the 1987 motor so that probably played a role in it.

Latest posts