18HP Evinrude Fastwin Lower Unit Lube

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLKLAB

Reaction score
I drained out the old fluid today and it was pretty watery and milky. I started to fill it back up and it was almost running out instantly. It didnt take nearly the amount that came out. I had a 8 oz tube and it probably didn't use half of that. Should it hold more or is that all those little motors use?

I guess I was a bit misleading with my original post. The lower unit didnt actually have water in it. The old fluid was just broke down. Runny and dirty. No leaks that I know of.

Maybe it did not drain all the way.
When refilling the lower unit lube, you should be refilling from the bottom screw hole until it runs out the top hole. Hopefully that is the method you used. It does not take much lube. Try turning the prop a few times, agitate the oil a bit to maybe eliminate an air cavity but I doubt that will make a difference. As others said, should not be milky colored.
Tim

same thing happened to my qd-15. Gear lube came out looking like a vanilla shake. Seals are in order. someone tried there hand at some blue rtv. Quick fix, but top seal failed and pickup tube seal was cracked sucking in water till it cant hold any more. Thank goodness the brass didnt guald.

Ok guys. What all seals should I replace? Anything else I should check and replace while I have lower unit off? And whats best place to find seals?

Any authorized dealer will be able to order seals for you. Always nice to be dealing locally whenever possible. You will possibly need him to remove and install the shift shaft seal anyway. Order your seals and ask them about doing this small operation for you. You can do the rest.

Latest posts