'68 Evinrude 6hp - Throttle Question/Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRyno10

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 1968 Evinrude 6hp and am a little confused about something. I'm having trouble putting this into words but I took some pictures to help me explain this. My tiller handle can turn perfectly fine 180 degrees (just like it should) BUT only about 90 degrees of it actually makes the motor run. However the motor runs pretty good and can idle really low. I wonder if I am not getting max hp because of this, or is that just how they are made? I colored the little mark to indicate where the notch on the handle is (black). Here are four pictures with some description on the issue.

In this first picture the motor SHOULD and IS definitely off. (However this is NOT where it does shut off because it does so much sooner)
photo12.jpg

In the second picture, this is where the motor actually shuts off.
photo14.jpg

This third picture is where the "sweet spot" to start the motor.
photo11.jpg

The forth and final picture is WOT and I am not sure if I am getting full throttle out of it. I do not have a GPS so I do not know exact speed but I'd guess I run around 10+ in a 10ft'er weighing around 400lbs (gear/batteries/TM/gas/6hp/me).
photo13.jpg

I just don't understand why I would only get 90 degrees of throttle, and since that is the case I wonder if I am not getting full throttle. Any help/tips/advise/explanations would be great!

Pop the cowl and turn your throttle back and forth. Look for the linkage that goes to the carburetor. When turning the throttle look at the carb and notice the butterfly valve moving inside? Or last linkage to the carb if there is an intake cover blocking your view? You need to determine if the linkage is opening this butterfly valve all the way. To do this push down on the linkage closest to the carb to see if it can be opened any further than the throttle allows. If so you need to adjust it out so you can reach WOT by turning the tiller handle.

10mph w/ 400lbs on a 6hp is a good lick. I'd be happy with those results.

Thank you for the response, I guess I am getting WOT my throttle just doesn't shift as smooth as it could/should but I can live with it. However I now and noticing an oil leak from the lower unit and looks to be coming from possibly a broken prop seal? I have not taken it apart to look for sure yet but I'm 90% sure it is and will check to confirm it tomorrow. Howbdo I go about ordering/buying a new seal? I am guessing I will need to find out the part number somehow and then find it online? Or may there be some universal like seal for other similar outboards that I could pick up from a local boat parts store?

Latest posts