Hard to start Merc

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobscreekboy

Reaction score
My 1975 Mercury 110 9.8 is always a little tricky to start when I use it. It runs great and idles smoothly. Just takes a dozen pulls to get her running. Seems alot tougher than other small outboards I've used. Any tricks to give my arm a rest?

I am having a similar issue with my Johnson 15Hp. Possibly a bad primer bulb in the fuel line? I have a Quicksilver one coming in this week...

Ringo Steele said:
I am having a similar issue with my Johnson 15Hp. Possibly a bad primer bulb in the fuel line? I have a Quicksilver one coming in this week...
Well the fuel line is new. Got the motor about a month ago and changed the plugs recently. I was wondering if sea foam would help at all? It runs fine, just tricky to start.

The only other thing I could think of off the top of my head would be a weak but still functioning fuel pump? A sticky carb float?
As for the fuel primer bulb, i have heard many reports of some of the cheaper ones being bad right out of the box. Attwood and Moeller are some names mentioned, but I have no first hand facts to back up those folks reports. The Attwood is what I have now and it doesn't pump up firm unless I hold the fuel line in a vertical orientation while pumping it, so I'm going to try a Quicksilver (Mercury Marine) bulb, as the valves and the body are both reported to be a higher quality. My Johnny runs fine once cranked, and only takes 1 or 2 pulls on later crankings, but that first cranking is a bear.

My Mercury was hard to start sometimes it wouldn't start at all. It turned out to be the quick disconnect at the motor was bad. It too was a cheap aftermarket one. Replaced with a new Quicksliver one and all was good. First start I normally have to choke it till it starts. After that it will fire right up.

I had a old Johnson that you had to pull on forever it turned out that the choke was not closing off fully when choked....had to adjust and it started like it should after that.

Good luck.
Flintcreek

Ringo Steele said:
The Attwood is what I have now and it doesn't pump up firm unless I hold the fuel line in a vertical orientation while pumping it, so I'm going to try a Quicksilver (Mercury Marine) bulb, as the valves and the body are both reported to be a higher quality. My Johnny runs fine once cranked, and only takes 1 or 2 pulls on later crankings, but that first cranking is a bear.

I read an article about the check valves in primer bulbs. It stated that to have the primer bulb as close as possible to the engine and in a vertical position if possible. I did that on both of my outboards and it seems to help, but then again both of the primer bulbs and lines are new. I remember one of the old primer bulbs never pumped up hard no matter how close I got it to the engine.

Latest posts