Free Yamaha T8PLHZ

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryRN

Reaction score
I just received a 2001 8 hp yamaha remote power tilt/trim from a family member. She took it off her boat because the power tilt was frozen and she wanted a larger moter. The power head runs perfectly and it has great thrust.

I need to know if anyone out there has a service/repair manual and would be willing to share with me what the color codes for the wires are. I am having trouble hooking up some of the wires that were disconected during repowering her boat. I want to hook the motor directly to a starter switch. I plan to fab a small tiller for the motor and have already disconected the trim motor and shaft; I want it to bump up if I hit something in the shallows anyway.

I am aware that I could buy a tiller and wire harness for it but don't want to spend the $200-$400 for the kit when I know something could be fabricated and work just as well for my needs.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Get a hold of a Yamaha service manual. Not much out there on the 'net that is 100% accurate-and that's what you will need (accuracy in the wiring diagram).

The kit is the absolute easiest way to convert it to tiller. However since you're rigging your own up, I suggest picking up a manual, studying the wiring diagram and then going at it. It sounds simple...however there are about 10 wires in the harness. Some will have no connection and some MUST be connected. I don't remember which ones are which though. Usually I like to just put the tiller kit on it & call it a day. Quicker, easier, and most importantly; reliable.

turbotodd said:
Get a hold of a Yamaha service manual. Not much out there on the 'net that is 100% accurate-and that's what you will need (accuracy in the wiring diagram).

The kit is the absolute easiest way to convert it to tiller. However since you're rigging your own up, I suggest picking up a manual, studying the wiring diagram and then going at it. It sounds simple...however there are about 10 wires in the harness. Some will have no connection and some MUST be connected. I don't remember which ones are which though. Usually I like to just put the tiller kit on it & call it a day. Quicker, easier, and most importantly; reliable.

Thanks. Sounds like you have some experiance in converting these motors to tiller handle. I have a pretty simple and inexpensive idea for a conversion and if it doesn't work then I will have to buy a kit. Either way, a couple hundred bucks into a free motor is not a bad deal. 8)

I have a service manual for a Yamaha F8. What exactly do you need? I can send e-mail with scans. Heading to work now but can do it tomorrow.

fishinnut said:
I have a service manual for a Yamaha F8. What exactly do you need? I can send e-mail with scans. Heading to work now but can do it tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply / offer to help and sorry it took me so long to reply. I found a site where I downloaded the entire manual for $12 or $13. I have the motor working and am fabricating a tiller handle for it. I can't afford to drop the $2-300 for the tiller kit. I am using an ignition from an old piece of lawn equipment (works great), and just purchased a kill switch with leash this week. I hope to get it mounted on the boat tomorrow night.
I will post some pics once it is finished.

Latest posts