QD-13 and QD-15 top end interchangeability

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtymike

Reaction score
Does anybody have a chart to tell what years of QD 10HP johnson series interchange. I have a QD-13(1952) i would like to change power heads to a QD-15(1954) until i can rebuild the QD-13. From the looks of the lower end the QD-13 has more access points. Don't know if this has been discussed. Can't find any subject in the forum.

I did this several years ago utilizing three of the old vertical shift 10hp Johnsons of different years. I think the years will interchange but not 100% sure. Things changed when the engines picked up the upper mount/isolators if memory serves me correct. There are also changes in the mag plate assemblies and the types of coils from the old style to the universal style I think also, although this should not affect you.
Since you need to do the work on them anyway just pull the powerheads and see! Thats what I did and for the most part it was more fun than frustrating. Most brackets and mounts should interchange between them.
If you run into a bind then ask the Gurus over at ww.aomci.org They will be able to help.

seem like the difference so far is the is the mounting of the cowl cover and he throttle. Haven't checked the isolators yet. AS far as the power heads, ,looks like power heads are similar. the attachment cowl ears are different. Think i got some stuck stuck rings on the QD-13. Have the QD-16 running for the season. As far as the coils the 1952-1955 seem to be similar, but Ohm value on the old coils are 3.70k and the new ones(aftermarket) are 7.5k. Don't know what such a wide variance between the two,and as far as guru's, I've got more from you than some corp industry.

Latest posts