Trouble starting engine

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman529

Reaction score
I have a 5hp briggs & stratton air cooled motor (posted another thread asking about fuel grade). I was trying to get it to run today on the old fuel before refilling the tank with new gas. I've had this problem before when I first got the motor but this time was so bad I could not get it started. I haven't taken the motor in the water yet.

The pull string gets "stuck" when trying to start the motor. Sometimes it doesn't want to pull and sometimes it does, but then it gets stuck again half way. Even if I get it to pull some, the engine doesn't turn. it isn't the string, it's the engine... I have it in neutral, primed the gas line till the bulb was tight, choke on full, throttle set in "start" position but it won't start. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Did i flood the engine or is there likely another problem?

your recoil claws aren't engaging. You need to rebuild the starter mechanism. Very simple, one or two of the engaging claws aren't making contact with the flywheel. these claws are the anchor point that turns the flywheel to excite the magneto to make the spark to send it to the coil and then to the spark plug and as a result you have voltage to the combustion chamber. 2 stroke is suck,squeeze, bang. 4 stroke is suck,bang, blow, squeeze.

dirtymike said:
your recoil claws aren't engaging. You need to rebuild the starter mechanism. Very simple, one or two of the engaging claws aren't making contact with the flywheel. these claws are the anchor point that turns the flywheel to excite the magneto to make the spark to send it to the coil and then to the spark plug and as a result you have voltage to the combustion chamber. 2 stroke is suck,squeeze, bang. 4 stroke is suck,bang, blow, squeeze.
Would this be part of the flywheel assembly? I have the parts list and it shows two pieces called "Ratchet-Pawl" - am I looking in the right area? Are you referring to the ratchet like device used in the flywheel?

Edit - also found this, looks like I should check the engine for this problem. https://www.briggsandstratton.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/Rewind%20locked-up%20on%20B%20and%20S%20Gasoline%20Outboard/?selectCats=Gas+Outboard

catman529 said:
Would this be part of the flywheel assembly? I have the parts list and it shows two pieces called "Ratchet-Pawl" - am I looking in the right area? Are you referring to the ratchet like device used in the flywheel?

Edit - also found this, looks like I should check the engine for this problem. https://www.briggsandstratton.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/Rewind%20locked-up%20on%20B%20and%20S%20Gasoline%20Outboard/?selectCats=Gas+Outboard
Yes, you're looking at the right area. The recoil starter engages the flywheel by means of the pawls when you pull on the start rope.

Hydraulic lock might be a possibility, but it can easily be checked or ruled out. Remove the spark plug per the instructions.

So I need to open it up and look at the ratchet pawls and see if anything is broken there, if the hydraulic lock is not the issue? I will be pulling the spark plug and checking for oil tomorrow, and hope that is only the problem so I dont have to hack into anything.

I tried today removing the spark plug and pulling it a few times to flush out any oil. The string pulled normally when the plug was removed, but no oil came out after multiple tries. When the plug is replaced the string locks up again. Dipstick shows normal oil levels.... I dont want to break into the flywheel yet as I dont think the ratchet is broken.... what should I do?

Haven you changed the spark plug for a new one since you go the motor? If you did, make sure you installed the right plug and not one that is too long and hitting the piston. If it's not the plug being too long then I think your next course of action is to pull the recoil starter off and inspect it for problems. You don't need to remove the flywheel to take the recoil starter off and work on it.

JMichael said:
Haven you changed the spark plug for a new one since you go the motor? If you did, make sure you installed the right plug and not one that is too long and hitting the piston. If it's not the plug being too long then I think your next course of action is to pull the recoil starter off and inspect it for problems. You don't need to remove the flywheel to take the recoil starter off and work on it.
Spark plug is the same as when I got the motor. I was considering getting a new one. I have cleaned it off though. Someone on another forum suggested it might be the compression release valve getting stuck. I think it is an issue of compression because I can pull the string perfectly normal when the spark plug is removed. I have the complete illustrated parts list for this motor and am trying to learn some from it, but I am a complete novice with gas engines so I am kind of lost. Hope I can get her fixed up soon and be on the water. Thanks for the advice too.

Never seen or heard of a 5hp motor that develops enough compression to stop the starter from turning it over or one that had a compression release, but they say anything is possible.

Mt string pulls ad retrieves great, just frustrated overall with this same motor. I cannot get it to start either. The guy I bought it from on craigslist got it to run when I purchased. I cannot get it to start when I took it out on water for first time. Ruined my day out on water. I am gonna start with taking carburetor apart and cleaning it out with starter :( fluid.

REPLACE THE PLUG.....

It is the least costly and easiest thing to do. Be sure to set the gap correctly. I cannot tell you how many times my engine ( 40 hp 2 cycle Yamaha) gave me trouble and replacing the plug solved the problem.

If that doesn't work, but the engine turns over...squirt a little fuel into the chamber and pull. If it doesn't fire, you have some other issue ( probably no spark) Rich

Thanks all for the advice.

Problem isn't completely fixed, but I got it to run on Monday after replacing the spark plug. The pull string still gets stuck at one point. I have to pull it out till it sticks, let the string back in, so it is stuck right as I am pulling it back out. Then if I yank it just right, the engine turns over. I took the boat out on the river and lake all day yesterday, and it ran fine all day. Only other quirk is that the engine is prone to stall at low idle when it is in gear. So when traveling at idle speed I just give it a bit more gas so it idles a bit faster. For trolling purposes it has a trolling board mounted on the lower unit, and I also have a 34 lb trolling motor that hauls. Looks like it will get the job done which is just what I need right now. I'd say with it runs around 10-15 mph with just me and gear, in my nice lightweight 1432.

One other question... I think it has a governor... is it a bad idea to remove it to get more rpm's / speed?

Yes, it's an extremely bad idea to disable or bypass the governor on that engine. Doing so will allow that engine to rev so high, it can and likely will, go into self destruct mode. Although it wasn't a Briggs, my brother did this stunt on a 5hp engine of mine that I had loaned him, and it snapped the top of the valve stem of and dropped the valve on the piston. It wasn't pretty.

JMichael said:
Never seen or heard of a 5hp motor that develops enough compression to stop the starter from turning it over or one that had a compression release, but they say anything is possible.

My 6HP Honda pressure washer has a compression release and it acted this same way. The cam gear was broken where the compression release mounts to it.

Latest posts