Anyone go from 2 to 4 stroke and was disappointed?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATRIOT2

Reaction score
Currently running a 247cc, 84#, 15HP Nissan, carbureted, 2-stroke with a 1.85:1 gearcase, 8.5 pitch prop, at 5500 rpm's and 22 mph. Speed isn't my primary concern but I'd like to get into a lightweight, fuel injected, 4-stroke. Twin cylinders would be nice to keep the weight down but would go to 3 if I have to. I'm finding that some manufacturers/dealers won't ship any motors 25HP and above and I'd like to purchase online to get free shipping and no tax. Others may have tried the same thing but what about the performance difference you found compared with your old 2-stroke? Any regrets? I'd really like to get a 25HP which is my transom rating.

I have a Yamaha 90 2 Stroke. I would gladly give up a little power to get away from having to buy that $20 a gallon 2 Cycle oil. A 100hr lower unit oil change would be heaven. I use my G3 as a work boat and I go through a lot of fuel(and oil).

Ok two strokes are lighter, faster, and sound better.

Four strokes are easier to maintain, quieter, and heavier.

It's all about preference, I use a 25hp mercury 2 stroke for my Jon boat and a. 115hp mercury 4 stroke for my SeaPro.

I'd say keep 2 strokes for smaller boats for weight but go with the easier to maintain 4 strokes for bigger boats. But that's just me.

Check out smalloutboards.com they have a partner in Canada who has new in box 2 stroke merc 25 and 30 shipped to your door. But they are old school technology so you dont get the great fuel consumption of an E Tech or the 4 strokes. I am trying to decide on a motor as well right now and am torn between Tohatsu, Mercury and E Tech.

I went through this and after a lot of research went with a 20 hp Merc 4 stroke to replace an older 25 hp Evinrude (1975). After much digging I could not justify the additional weight and expense of the 25 4 strokes. My new 20 out performs the old 2 smoke in every way and could not be happier. I ordered mine from here https://www.solutiononemaritime.com/ and it arrived truck freight to my house in less than a week.

I'll check with smalloutboards.com next week. Their webpage says "new" and in the next breath says "used one season".

tnriverluver . . .
Are you using the new 4-stroke on the same boat as your old 2-stroke? I just got back from running (trying to anyway) at 7700 ft in Colorado and I'm leaning away from a carbed motor and towards an injected motor with a MAP sensor. So far, that new 20HP Suzuki is injected, weighs 108 lbs, geared at 2.08:1, has electric start and thru cowl manual backup, and has my attention at $2995. I just don't want to be disappointed with the performance of a new 4-stroke and it's kinda difficult to test drive a new motor, and "Suzuki" may be an "unknown" quantity. :(

But then I came across new 25HP 2006 Yamaha 25MLH 2-strokes for $1495. Decisions, decisions!

Yes this is on a 1542 tracker flatbottom. I don't know how tired the 2 stroke is since I bought it off Ebay after I first bought the boat brand new last year. Only reason I replaced the 2 stroke was I just didn't trust it for very long trips even though it runs great. I wish the Merc was injected since all my toys are carbed and I am sick of all the carb issues I am having. (generally from lack of use) The Carbs on the Merc are not covered under their 5 year warranty either from my understanding. This is my first 4 stroke outboard in nearly 40 years of boating and I just wanted to give one a try. All my new boats will be 4 stroke from now on!!!! There are other people out there that have had the opposite experience from me so keep that in mind also. That Suzuki sounds good on paper but I would wait for it to get a little proven before buying one of them.

I replaced an aging 18hp Johnson with a brand new 15hp Honda four stroke last year. This boat is mostly used in the Eastern Sierras where the elevation fluctuates around 7000 feet. It is harder to start in the thin air (carbed) but once running, have no issues with it. I like the lack of smoke and the quieter running.

My old 1542...
bought it with a '97 25 Yamaha 2 stroke (114 lbs). Sold the motor for what I paid for the entire boat, and picked up a '01 25 Yamaha 4 stroke which is around 140 lbs. That boat was about 1 mph faster with the 25esh (2 stroke). I had to carry 6 gal of gas to run to the favorite crappie hole. Roughly 12 miles round trip. When I put the 4 stroke on, it starts better, idles better, I only need to carry 3 gal of gas now, it has a better charging system, less maintenance, everytyhing about it is better other than its a bit heavier.

The weight is only an issue if you have to tilt it a lot. On mine, I just kick it in reverse and pull. Tilts easy that way-but keep in mind I'm bad lazy.

The F25 is now on my War Eagle. The WE is heavier and wider and deeper (344 lbs hull weight vs 207 for the old 1542) but it's still 2 mph faster.

The only thing I wish this F25 had was one more cylinder. SOmetimes I want it to be REAL smooth and a 2 cylinder 4 stroke just won't be as smooth as a 3 cyl motor-especially the way all of the twin cyl 25's are designed with their 360° firing order (both pistons move in the exact same direction at the same time-makes for a little vibration). I may end up selling the F25 in favor of an F40, but only an older 4 cylinder F40. 2 year only deal but I love them.

turbotodd said:
My old 1542...

The only thing I wish this F25 had was one more cylinder. SOmetimes I want it to be REAL smooth and a 2 cylinder 4 stroke just won't be as smooth as a 3 cyl motor-especially the way all of the twin cyl 25's are designed with their 360° firing order (both pistons move in the exact same direction at the same time-makes for a little vibration)......
I'm glad my 89 johnson 48hp 2 cylinder is not configured that way, has a dual pin crank and pistons fire 180 out. Have to admit it runs smooth.
Tim

earl60446 said:
turbotodd said:
My old 1542...

The only thing I wish this F25 had was one more cylinder. SOmetimes I want it to be REAL smooth and a 2 cylinder 4 stroke just won't be as smooth as a 3 cyl motor-especially the way all of the twin cyl 25's are designed with their 360° firing order (both pistons move in the exact same direction at the same time-makes for a little vibration)......
I'm glad my 89 johnson 48hp 2 cylinder is not configured that way, has a dual pin crank and pistons fire 180 out. Have to admit it runs smooth.
Tim

It's also a 2 stroke. All the 4 stroke twin cyl. 25's are 360° firing order with a counterbalancer. Most (if not all) 2 stroke twin cyl engines are 180° firing.

4 stroke has a power stroke every OTHER revolution of the crankshaft as opposed to a 2 stroke which has a power stroke every revolution of the crank. Big difference there.

Reason most (if not all) the twin cyl 4 strokes are 360° is because of torque. Makes more torque in the lower RPM range, but at the expense of more vibration. If it were a 180° firing, it'd be a little smoother and it'd need two carbs because of intake manifold pulses. Would also need 4 valves per cyl to help with low speed power, (would help but not cure the problem)...then would also need to run up to about 10,000 RPM...which also tends to reduce low end responsiveness. Ok for a race motor but for a "normal" outboard, not so much.

Think of comparing a 250 rebel to a 250 ninja. The ninja actually has less duration camshaft higher compression, 4 valves per cyl...but twin carbs and makes ZERO power until you get to about 8000 RPM. A Rebel's 360° crankshaft/single carb/2v per cylinder makes good low end response but is DONE making any power by 7500 RPM, right where the Kawi starts to come alive.

Latest posts