transom savers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadian omc

Reaction score
i was wondering if it's ok to use a transom saver with an 40hp without power tilt ? The salesman i talked to said i should just travel with the motor locked up. Seems like it'll put to much pressure on the transom though. Any thoughts and opinions are welcome. BTW it's a longshaft merc on a 14 ft. lund , reason I'm asking is that the skeg when the motor is down has less than 6 inches to the ground and I don't want to raise the bunks any higher. Thanks in advance for all your help

Yes. I use one on my 15 Johnson for the same reason. It will drag on my driveway if I don't. If you read the package on the Attwood it says not for use on motors without power tilt/trim. I don't know why.

I had them on other boats i've had , but been kicking around the idea of making something like this .

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26652&p=279645&hilit=redneck#p279645

Palmer812 said:
Yes. I use one on my 15 Johnson for the same reason. It will drag on my driveway if I don't. If you read the package on the Attwood it says not for use on motors without power tilt/trim. I don't know why.

Because a manual tilt motor won't hold the transom saver in place. The motor has a tendancy to bounce off of the saver. I run a strap around mine which straps it to the trailer. Problem solved.