mid 1990's 8HP Johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooligans34

Reaction score
My motor ran good all summer. Recently, when I start my motor and go down to an idle to put it into gear it wants to shut off. If I keep the idle faster (about trolling speed) , it will stay running but it may spit and sputter alittle. The same thing happens when I run it wide open. It seems like the longer the motor is running, the better it gets. But the same thing is happening everytime I take the boat out. Any suggestions what the problem may be? Fuel filter? Carburetor?

Do yourself a favor first and just richen the idle mixture. Better yet close off the idle mixture screw (counting the turns) and lightly seat it. There may be nothing more than a tiny piece of debris in there. Return the mixture screw to the original position and try the engine. If it works, fine, and if not turn it counter clockwise 1/4 turn and see.
You may eventually have to go into your carburetor but I would hold off if the overall running quality is as good as you say it is.

Latest posts