what to do....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitFishin'

Reaction score
Well, Ive got a decision to make and i need some opinions. Im in the middle of rebuilding my side console sea nymph. currently i own a mid 80's 70hp merc with tilt and trim that i was going to keep on the boat, but today i was offered a 9.8 merc tiller. my fishin buddy and i were talking this out and he thinks it may be better to sell my 70 and go with the 9.8 so i can open things up in the boat... i kind of agree that it would be nice to have wide open space in the boat, but i think i might want the possibility to go fast. what do i do??? check out pics in my sig to get an idea of what im working with. its a 16' semi V with a 6' beam.
The asking price on the 9.8 is $400. runs strong. Another issue im having is that i dont know what i would ask for my 70hp. Please help, any and all advice is greatly appreciated! thanks.

IMHO, a 9.9 isn't nearly enough for your rig if you want to anything more than just get out of the way, especially with the added weight of any mods, plus gear and passenger(s). If you have run the boat with the 70, that will be your best indication of optimum HP, assuming the hull is rated for it.

I agree with ricky - in the fact a 9.9 hp tiller isn't going to perform on a level that would make you comfortable - even if you did open things up in the boat. What do you mean, exactly, by Opening things up the boat? Hopefully you are not talking about sacrificing any structural integrity.
As far as your mid 1980's mercury goes - Like me, you might just be finding parts are becoming harder to find as the years roll by.
My suggestion: Sell the merc and find a newer suitable outboard in the 50hp+ range.

thanks, what i meant by opening things up is removing the console making the middle of the boat open with storage on both sides. i will not lose any structural integrity by doing this.

The small OB would certainly work fine as a kicker. But check the regs for the hp-restricted lakes you want to fish. Make sure that larger motors are even allowed on the lake. If not, you would have to take off the 70...a heavy lift job for sure. I'd be happy to come over and help, but I'm busy that day.

I'd say keep the 70 and IF you can afford it get the 9.9 and set it aside. After finishing the the project, then maybe get a 14 footer for the HP restricted lakes. IMHO that would be the best of both. If you use the 9.9 as a kicker, that's a whole lotta of weight on the transom. Might be something think about.

Charger25 said:
I'd say keep the 70 and IF you can afford it get the 9.9 and set it aside. After finishing the the project, then maybe get a 14 footer for the HP restricted lakes. IMHO that would be the best of both. If you use the 9.9 as a kicker, that's a whole lotta of weight on the transom. Might be something think about.
yea i think thatll work

Latest posts