1955 Evinrude Aquasonic Fleetwin 7.5

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
Hey all... as the title says, my motor.

The previous owner mentioned removing the carb and soaking it in a bucket of marine carb cleaner which he provided...
It has a screen lifter to dip and pull out the carb...

However, by looking at what he pointed out was the carb, I am going to have a hell of a time removing it...

Looks like the fuel adjustment knobs are connected to the carb, along with a host of other parts...

I have looked up and down and am unable to locate either an owners manual, or similar for this model...

Any help is greatly appreciated, or even just some general knowledge of what my first steps should be to get int this motor and start tuning her up.

At first glance it may appear to be a major task but it is not really that bad. Get out your trusty digital camera and start taking pictures, take a lot (they are cheap) start with the engine complete, before you take anything off, and do various angles. Once you take off the cowling and the intake silencer it is not bad. The carb itself is really pretty simple to take apart and redo. When you are taking the carb apart, do not take off the choke plate or throttle plate (butterfly plates). If you don't have a rebuild kit already I would suggest an OMC/BRP kit #439071 it comes with a float, most of the other aftermarket kits, such as Sierra, do not have the float with them (you may not need a float) even tho they are a few bucks cheaper. There are also numerous sites/links to show how to rebuild the carb and what to watch out for. MarineEngine.com has a lot of parts breakdowns and also sell most of the stuff you will need if you don't have a local source.

a primer:
https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/oldoutboards/index.htm

some detail (basically, much the same motor: )

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_9.5.htm

Best wishes

Along with the carburetor you will most likely have to go into the ignition system and replace coils and condensors (at the very least) if they are original. By all means replace the waterpump assy. and this job means removing the powerhead on this little engine but that too is easy.
When the engine is deemed ready to run always run it on a 24:1 mixture. Your engine is a plain bearing engine and will not survive long on anything less than that. Chances are there are readable instructions inside your cowling.
In addition, you may find that you have to replace gearcase seals. Check the gearlube often for the first several trips and if it turns milky then this job will have to be done.
What do you get in return for all this work? An engine that is just about bulletproof, runs like a sewing maching and long lasting enough to hand down to your grandchildren............still running.