1967 kiekhafaer 9.8 merc 110 shift lever and other issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelster69

Reaction score
first post, found a jewel 1967 9.8. merc 110 kiekhaefer(traded for a mini buggy gokart)
had wrong spark plugs in it when taken apart , cleaned the carb , replaced all hoses, new water pump, gear oil, new kill switch , cleaned points,reoiled the pull start . Started up and reved like a beast . Prop hub was worn so i didnt go anywhere, by miracle found a new 6 spline prop on craigslist .
like a dumbass knocked the motor over broke the shift handle, looks like its one piece, lever and shaft.
got the vicegrips on now, hehe
im wondering if its a separate piece ,and can just change the handle without dissasembling the shifter assembly.
Any one know about these relics? serial 187***

also looks like shifting is backwards, lever forward is reverse and lever back is forward.
im having a blast tinkering with this thing and know once its running im gonna fly across the lake on a 12ft jonboat or at least plane with 2 people and gear, heheh.

is the shift lever a black plastic one, with a square hole? got a replacement off boats #93730T it was 10.50 shipped.
https://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/7.5/5206550%20%26%20Up/BOTTOM%20COWL%20AND%20SHIFT%20LINKAGE/parts.html
part number 27 ?
dino

thx for your reply, the handle looks like that but its definately metal/ aluminum, with a round hole

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-MERCURY-9-8HP-SHIFTER-HANDLE-/390440926288?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item5ae817bc50&vxp=mtr ,
I believe this is the part , handle plus a shaft,
I dont really want to remove the whole shaft , carbs , etc , if I can losen a nut and change a handle,
but dont see a way to take it apart.
this weekend will be my test run , with new prop!

update, the 9.8 runs great , new prop did wonders . i put a whale tale on it will try it out this weekend, revs 4700 rpms,pisses great .
one issue it will start easily if I flip choke on , pull the rope, let it sputter.then the next pull with choke off it will start.
now even when its warmed up
seems I have to use choke get the fuel going, switch choke off . then it will start.
it wont run with the choke one, just helps set it up to start.
my 9.5 rude, will start no choke after 3 weeks sittin there.once warmed up never need choke.Half a rope pull even.

do you think its a idle mixture setting? or what I could mess around with. motor seems to run great other than that.would love to be able to start right up one or 2 pulls.
also I rigged a kill switch with the lanyard, but it doesnt shut off the motor, so ive been using the choke lever to kill the engine(read on a forum) will this damage anything?thx in advance