25 hp jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a topper1542, and I want to put a 25 hp jet on it. I know I will need a jack plate for this, but has anyone done it? And is it possible?

With that heavy of a motor and the added torque w/ the jackplate, I'd be nervous about putting that setup on that boat (very thin aluminum). If you do, make sure to fab some extra bracing.

My 1542 handles a 140 lb 20 hp 4 stroke with no problem. If this is a 2 stroke jet that will only put out about 15 hp worth of thrust I would see no issue at all other than needing to install a jack plate. I would not however want to use my boat to run over a lot of rocky bottoms since as stated they are very thin hulled.

you dont need a jack plate but you need to extend you transome up for the jet.Is it a factory jet?I had a 15 inch transome on a boat and added a 25 Mercury jet toit so i extended the transome up to 22 inch.Walla perfect =D>

i havent bought a motor yet, but i live in central pa. where the rivers get shallow. the boat accepts up to a 25 hp motor, so i thought i would look for a jet, or have to buy a short shaft prop motor. which make me nervous in the shallows. thank for any help!!

Tons of them out here too.

Local guide dock has a few 1542's with 25 jet motors. Mostly Yamaha's. They are LOUD (hear em a mile away-literally) but they run in INCHES of water. Last time I looked, it appeared that they were running 20" transoms but with 15" motors. I didn't look that closely though so I may be wrong. One day I am going to stop to have a look at them and maybe talk to one of the guides.

Last time I was over at Duckys they still had a new 25 hp 2 stroke yammie that would be nice for that. If it were me id go for 2 stroke over 4 because of the weight. Id also get one thats not electric start so you dont need a starter battery and get a set of oars and forget the trolling motor!

If it makes you feel any better about running a 25hp jet on a 15' 42" I'm running a built 60/40 jet on my 16" 42". :mrgreen: I run a built 40/28 for a couple years but wanted some more speed so I went up to the 60/40.
Short shaft jet needs 22" transom long shaft needs 27" transom. I'd build up the transom so You won't have the setback from the jack plate. They claim you'll have to fight cavitation problems with to much set back on a jet.

ive got a 115/80 jet on a jack plate on a paper tinnie boats rated for 75 just stay around ur max hp and u should be good. what part of the susky u tryin to run?

Latest posts