2HP Honda 4 Stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahBassKicker

Reaction score
Does anyone have any input on these motors? I know Honda are known to be reliable but I haven't ever heard anything about about one this small. This thing has an attached gas tank, 360 degree swivel head, and only weighs 27 lbs. Any input would be appreciated. Just saw it listed for $300.

If it runs and is the size you're looking for buy it. New they are over 850 plus shipping!! Been looking at them for my 8ft Bass Hunter since they are the only one making a 2hp currently.

I'm thinking of using it for trolling for trout. Would 2HP be enough for my 14ft Alumacraft? I currently use my 15HP to troll but feel it might be pushing a little too fast.

You be able to troll a lake with a Honda 2. The only problem with the honda 2 is its air cooled and sounds like a weedwacker. Its a great deal at 300. I have a 2.5 Merc and it pushed a fully loaded 14 ft smokercraft mag no problem and I trolled for three days on about 2 gallons of gas. Its a great motor for 10 ft jon boat solo outings.

_Preview_-10.jpg

I own a Honda 9.9. I have owned Mercury and Yamaha motors as well. The Honda I own is by far one of the worst products I've ever purchased. I purchased it 10 years ago new for about 2300 USD, and have spent that much keeping it running. This is by far the most unreliable product I've ever owned. In Contrast the Merc 3.5 and the Yamaha 15hp were both good motors... In my mind the Yamaha was the best of the bunch. Given the coice of a Honda 2hp and a Merc 3.5 I'd take the Merc hands down.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris. I decided to pass on this motor. It's interesting to hear you say that about Hondas. I know Mercs and Yamaha's are good motors (I personaly love my Johnson) but this is the first time I've heard of someone having a bad experience with Hondas.

I think that in fairness I should say I bought the motor in 2002 and it was a motor designed pre-ethanol in gas... But also I have purchased a new "Upgraded Ethanol friendly" carb for it for 300 bucks.... You just can't trust the engine to start or stay running...

When it runs it runs nice.... I had a 15hp Yamaha 4 stroke with electric start on my old boat... It was a great motor...

Latest posts