2004 Mercury 40/60?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highgeardaddy

Reaction score
I have a 2004 mercury outboard with a model 60EOJET40 designation on the manufacturer motor bracket sticker. Sticker also indicates "60HP" The story from the guy I bought it from sez' it had a burned up jet drive on it so he found a standard 60 prop lower unit and switch 'em out. He was certain a 60HP w/ a jet drive is classified as a 40HP. Is there that much power loss in a jet drive? Is that story feasible?

Anyway, she runs great and with the exception of porpoising with any trim-up at all, it makes a great rig on this 2003 Tracker 1654 CC w/ factory floor and front deck. Anyone have any tips on best pitch and diameter if I can scrape up enough for a SS prop?

Thanks.

Probablly right.
There is/was a 2004,60/40 merc. jet on CL. (North Jersey 9/20/12)
I contacted the Pa. fish and boat com. about what rating they go by on a jet.
My boat is rated for 40 hp. They go by the the powerhead , and said I could be issued a citation if I had that motor on the boat.

Yes.. that story is %100 possible.

A jet loses a 1/3.. give or take. So to go from a prop to a jet it would be rated as a 40 hp at the foot and 60 hp at the head and reverse is true.

You have a 60 hp propped motor that started out life as a Jet.

overboard said:
Probablly right.
There is/was a 2004,60/40 merc. jet on CL. (North Jersey 9/20/12)
I contacted the Pa. fish and boat com. about what rating they go by on a jet.
My boat is rated for 40 hp. They go by the the powerhead , and said I could be issued a citation if I had that motor on the boat.
Thats my motor for sale and I was told by NJ fish and game that they go by the rated horsepower at the prop,so the same goes for a jet.They dont rated the boat by the powerhead.years ago they rated motors by the powerhead ,now they are rated at the prop and so are the boats.By the way I still have the up for sale.
thanks Jim K

That's why I contacted the PFBC; because of your motor. I was interested in it.
It must be different in Pa. ???
That's the reply I got in an E-mail from them.
I still have their reply in the inbox. If I knew how I would send it to you.
OK; lets try this.

Hi Carl.
It would be based on the HP of the engine and weight so you will need the maximum size of the motor at 40 HP. If you want to run a 60/40 then you would need a boat rated for 60 HP. A citation could be issued if you were outside of these parameters but it would be up to the officers discretion. <(you know what that means!!!!-YOU'RE GONNA PAY!)

That sucks,its usally NJ are the pain in the butts,anyway if you know someone thats looking for a motor ,that would be great.The motor is like brand new,the only reason I'm selling it is to get a bigger motor and boat.Thanks Jim k

The shroud already hs a 40 on it from the factory.The only place it has a 60 on it is where the factory label is on the steering neck.

shallowminedid said:
my brilliant idea... im buying new hp decals. im from pa and was told it was taken from the prop or jet not powerhead

Here you go! ([email protected]). (Ryan,Walt)-This is the gentleman that gave me that info. He's from the Pa. fish and boat comm.
Contact him and see what he tells you!
Or better yet, contact someone different, and you may get a different answer! #-o Wouldn't be the first time.
I asked a local warden the same question sometime ago, and got the same answer. That's what makes me think it's correct.