V8 outhoard!!!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovedr79

Reaction score
I may be late on this, I haven't been offshore fishing in over a year now. I was watching that off the hook extreme fishing show, a boat they used to go spear fishing around oils
Rigs had not one but 2 yamaha v8 350's!

V8 outboards have been in production since 1985...or.....27 years ago.
OMC had Johnson and Evinrude V8s in production in 275 and 300 propshaft horsepower back then. A 20" 300hp V8 weighed 540lbs. Super light compared to the Yamahas and very fast.
If you want to see a really cool new V8 outboard visit 7 Marine online and see their new attempt at breaking into the outboard market. 557hp!
Evinrude, based on the 2-stroke V8 platform, currently holds the world single engine speed record at around 178mph and the current 1/4 mile drag record at 156mph. Both of those records are now quite old by todays standards and were set with either a 183 cu. in.or a 221 Cu. In. V8 outboard engine.
The porting schedule on the Evinrude that set the speed record was extreme enough that it took Nitrous to "tickle" the engine up to the RPM to where the ports would come in, take over, and start building the power they were designed to in order to make the horsepower/torque necessary to hit 200mph on water. The engine was run on methanol.
Onboard telemety similar to what you see in NASCAR allowed personnel on the shore to see that the throttle was never fully opened except for acceleration. This let us know that there was more left in the boat/engine set-up than what was used to set the record. The best propeller was wrecked on a rock during a wide turn on a practice run at the record site.
The steering torque of the V8 outboard was so massive that the engine was eventually locked straight ahead and a turning rudder was installed to turn the boat prior to the record attempt.
Mercury made several attemps at breaking the speed record but they had nothing that would compare to the massive bore/stroke ratio of the OMC V8, not to mention the incredible port area that engine had compared to a V6.
There are youtube videos online about some of what it took to set this record. Amazing history.

Latest posts