Winterizing an outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadian omc

Reaction score
is it better to let the carbs run dry or leave them with a little fuel in them for the winter? Usually what i've done is drain the bottom end and run fuel stabilizer through the system for 15 mins. or so and now getting to that time of year again i thought i'd ask so i don't have a problem later. Thanks

mixed opinions if its a 2stroke. some say not to run the carbs dry as when the engine is about to run out of gas, its also running out of oil, and could damage the pistons, etc., due to lack of oil. I've got a '04 Merc 60 2s, and I usually just put some extra "stabil" in the gas, run it for a bit to get thru the system, and park it for the winter. Never had any problems the next spring but there is always a first time. If its a 4stroke, I would run fuel stabilizer thru it and run the carbs dry, then park it. that's what I do with all my mowers and such.

according to the calendar and the thermometer, we do. May not be as much of "winter" as PA, but this is only one of many reasons I live in TN, particularly EAST TN. Rest of the state is flatland imo and don't go there much. LOL

Like mentioned above,theres mixed opinions.
I can say,I don't drain mine and havn't had a problem the next year,ever.(2 strokes)
Probably jinxed myself now...
I will say I havn't had to use ethanol gas and I store my outboards in a basement ; so they don't get below freezing,when stored inside.

Latest posts