Short battery cables...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispbrown27

Reaction score
I have a 1972 25 horse Johnson and the battery cables coming off of it are entirely too short. What would you guys recommend I do: butt splice enough onto the old cables to get it to the battery or look into buying new cables that are long enough? I don't need but 3 feet more or so to get to where I put my battery, but with the current cable length the battery would have to sit right in the center behind the back bench where the drain plug is and where my leg goes when I am running the motor. So what do you guys suggest?
Chris

If it were me, I'd replace it as one run. But then again, it depends on how many feet you need, as AWG 6 cable is about 3 dollars a foot, and that can get expensive.

As far as replacement goes you could probably pick up a 12 foot set of booster cables and ring connecters for under $20.00 , at least you'd have extra if you need it and without having to worry about corrosion at the splice. Good luck

Yes you can splice .But in all likelyhood it wil bite you when you least expect it. If you decide to splice be sure and go one size larger wire on the battery side. My favorite site for marine electrical thats reasonable and fast is genuinedealz.com they got all the pieces and even make up cables..cva34

Latest posts