Outboard Steering Adjustment - Left to Right Balance

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highgeardaddy

Reaction score
I've noticed that my ability to turn one way is very limited where the other side seems normal. Sorry, I dont recall if the bias is left or right. Is this a potential DIY adjustment or a qualified Marine tech. level repair issue?

What you got is prop torque

Does the engine turn fine when not running and in gear?

What type of steering system are you using (ie hydraulic, stick steer, cables and pulleys or just you arm and hand (tiller steer))?

Its a Merc 60 w/ standard steering cables. Left to Right-stop to stop it wont turn as sharp as my Yami 200 with hydraulic steering. Maybe thats just inherent w/ cable steering?

Help me out here Pappy, its my understanding the trim tab allows you to compensates for prop torque (the tendancy for a motor to turn one way or the other under power). That's not going to effect your ability to turn, just reduces the force needed to turn the motor - aye?.

highgeardaddy said:
Help me out here Pappy, its my understanding the trim tab allows you to compensates for prop torque (the tendancy for a motor to turn one way or the other under power). That's not going to effect your ability to turn, just reduces the force needed to turn the motor - aye?.

i beleive your right...........

Latest posts