New guy and I need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiLyX

Reaction score
Hey guys great forum you have here heaps of info but I cannot find what I'm looking for.i have a 3.7m stessl that had a 1996 Johnson 15hp short shaft, but I found a Yamaha 25 long shaft for a steal so I couldn't refuse to buy it my problem is its causing like a dual rooster tail here is a video and a few pics
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=6PPbaIjkd7w
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349295134.570067.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1349295167.038330.jpg
Cheers Leigh.

Welcome to the site.

You need a jackplate or "something" to raise the cavitation plate near level with the bottom of the hull.

Ok so like if I get a 100mm or more or less put In the transom to lift it to level it with the bottom of the boat should do the trick?

Ok so like if I get a 100mm or more or less put In the transom to lift it to level it with the bottom of the boat should do the trick?

Yes. Raise transom 120-130mm. We can not tell you exactly how much. You will have to measure.

Thanks heap for the help I have an aluminium fab shop round the corner il get them to take a look

You can convert them to a short shaft?
I haven't seen the same model In a short shaft. Is it as simple as just changing the leg?

CiLyX said:
Is it as simple as just changing the leg?

No..Same lu but normally it involves changing the drive shaft/water tube/shift linkage and removing a spacer.. i think im missing something else..

Canoeman said:
CiLyX said:

No..Same lu but normally it involves changing the drive shaft/water tube/shift linkage and removing a spacer.. i think im missing something else..

Seems easier to just weld a piece in to raise it up I have the room in the transom to do that and will cost me bugger all

CiLyX said:
Canoeman said:
CiLyX said:

Seems easier to just weld a piece in to raise it up I have the room in the transom to do that and will cost me bugger all

Okay - have to ask - how much exactly does "bugger all" cost?

I would guess the same amount as a henway?

Captain Ahab said:

Be nice. I'm guessing he ain't from 'round here.

Captain Ahab said:
CiLyX said:
Canoeman said:

I'm sorry, I was just trying to get information from a community and you take a shot at me? Sorry I was not straight down the line.. Would you like me to correct myself?
But please if you do not have anything that relates to my thread please don't read it, or post in it... But a big thank you to everyone else who has helped me, I'm a little bit closer to having my boat back on the water.

I would get or build a adjustable jackplate as to have a piece welded on the boat. You can tweak a adjustable plate and a fixed one is just there. And if you need to go back to a short shaft motor just adjust the plate and go. Just my opinion.

Steve

I dont think he was taking a shot at you, ahab isnt that type of guy. The motor looks like a sailboat motor, x long shaft. I would look on ebay for the parts, and you likely will recoupe the funds selling yours. It is as easy as swapping a few pieces.

Latest posts