Convert a 2000 Johnson 40 to a 50 -actually a factory 30 Jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayles

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Johnson 30 Jet (J30JRSSB). It is one of the factory jets that uses a 40 hp power head. My understanding is that this engine can easily be converted to a 50 by putting on the carbs from a 50. This would fairly easily increase my jet from a 30 to a 37 or so. I can pick up a set of used carbs for $150 and my mechanic will put them on for $50. Would it be worth it? Thanks for your opinions.

Wayles
2000 Johnson 30 Jet
2000 Lowe Roughneck R1652VT

it would go from a 40/28 to a 50/35 so it would add 7 hp. i dont think that will make a huge diffrence maybe a couple mph and a lil more out the gas tank. with the jets speed isnt always the best thing where we go

You'll need to change to 50hp carbs and change to 50hp reed stops. Might as well put a set of Chris Carson reeds in it while your at it. Cheaper then Boyseens and they do alot better to. Great motor, has alot of potential to make good power. Put alot of bigger motors to shame with my 94 40/28hp :mrgreen:
You'll see a little more topend and you should feel some better bottom end with the opened up reed stops. You can have the 50hp reeds stops bent open a little more to help it breath some more.

Latest posts