1959 18hp Seahorse. runs good, but the cowling is missing.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Karn

Reaction score
Can i run this motor without a cowling?

Any idea where to find a replacement, or is it possible to make my own cover?

1959 was the first year of the fiberglass cowling. I think a 59 up to around a 61 should all fit but not positive on that.
Head over to www.aomci.org and post the question on the Ask-a-member section. They are the absolute Gurus on vintage iron.
Somebody there should have one for you as well. You can post a wanted ad on the Webvertise section.

The_Karn said:

Sure you can run it without the cowling. Just keep fingers, hands and any loose clothing away from it when it is running. 18hp is plenty of motor to suck in and spit out what ever it gets a hold of into little pieces. And it is going to be much louder to run.

Johny25 said:
The_Karn said:

Sure you can run it without the cowling. Just keep fingers, hands and any loose clothing away from it when it is running. 18hp is plenty of motor to suck in and spit out what ever it gets a hold of into little pieces. And it is going to be much louder to run.

What you describe will not be a problem. I was more worried about water getting into parts that are normally covered by the cowling.

Pappy said:
1959 was the first year of the fiberglass cowling. I think a 59 up to around a 61 should all fit but not positive on that.
Head over to https://www.aomci.org and post the question on the Ask-a-member section. They are the absolute Gurus on vintage iron.
Somebody there should have one for you as well. You can post a wanted ad on the Webvertise section.

uggg. Another forum to sign up for. I'm gonna lose track of all the forum username/passwords i have. I'll check anyway

Plus, living in Door County i'm betting SOMEONE has the part i'm looking for. If i can't find it at the aomci.org forums i'll find it somewhere.

The_Karn said:
Johny25 said:
The_Karn said:

What you describe will not be a problem. I was more worried about water getting into parts that are normally covered by the cowling.

Ok well I wouldn't run it in the rain :lol: It shouldn't get much if any water on it unless it rains or your motor is not mounted correctly and it is flinging water all over when running