new guy.1958 Evinrude 10HP Sporttwin bought for $180!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinjinle

Reaction score
Hi Gang,
New guy here, just bought a 13.4' Gregor boat. I been looking all week on CL for a motor. came across this one.........

1958 Evinrude 10HP Sporttwin for $250.
This is a really clean vintage 1958 Sportwin with the original fuel tank to go with it...
Have not started it was a family members...
the serial # is **********
Pulls real easy with compression

$250.00 obo

The seller stated that it belong to a gentleman who passed away, it was sitting in his garage for yrs.

is this a good deal? should i pick this up and hope for the best?! any advices will be deeply appreciated.

pic
3L63M93Ha5E85K95H3caac06f782b5c261c03.jpg

Don't have my magnifying glass to see that picture......!
The engine is well worth it if you know vintage engines. Depending on how long it has been sitting up it wil need the following parts.
New fuel line and O-rings for the female connector. Tighten the cover screws on the tank slightly......may need a diaphram kit at some point.
Carb kit to convert the float and gaskets over to the newest style. Buy OEM only as that is about the only kit that is complete.
Ignition coils...........depending on when or if they have ever been replaced and if they are showing any cracking.
Water pump impeller or kit This is a must do.
Possibly a new hub in the propeller due to age.
This enigne has to be run on no less than a 24:1 fuel oil mixture........NOT 50:1 !! Do no listen to Bubba or Billy Bob the local mechanical whizzes. The mixing instructions will probably be inside the cowling.
The engines of that vintage were built like tanks as far as longevity goes and you should be able to hand it down to your grandkids if you take good care of it. Has plenty of power and extremely good running characteristics.

Parts can be sourced locally at any Johnson/Evinrude dealer for everything mentioned. All of those parts are available still!
Try and support your local dealer whenever possible if for no other reason than the ability to ask them a question or two when you need to. Makes that process a little easier when they know you are purchasing parts through them.
If not possible use Marineengine.com
Check the gearcase oil several times when first putting the engine back into service. Watch it for water. Water will turn the oil into what looks like a milkshake.
If that happens the gearcase will need to be resealed. This is a fairly easy job except for one O ring in the shift shaft pilot hole.
Questions that are more specific on this vintage engine can also be answered by going to www.aomci.org and asking the folks there. Once you get into these engines its hard to stop at owning just one.

Ok, I bought the motor plus the original gas tank for $180! Took it home and open it up for a closer inspection. the inside is clean...the carb is spotless no residue, everything look intact. Checked the impeller, it look like its brand new...no crack so what ever. I believe with new gas, this baby will fire right up! However, to ensure this motor will last another 50yrs, I will take Pappi's advice and replace the mentioned parts in this post! cant wait to get it in back in the water!