1974 Johnson 25HP; Parts in exhaust housing.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanzini

Reaction score
I have an interesting problem. I took off the lower unit to pressure test it to find a leak, and as I was pulling the unit off some parts fell out. I looked up into exhaust housing and I can see a spring and bits of what looks like a seal. After doing some research it looks like they're parts of crankshaft seal. I did find a good amount of engine oil on top of the lower unit. Has anyone heard of this?

The parts I believe I see are #26 & #27

11_zpsbaf4ee81.png

pho12to_zps314ec478.jpg

1photo_zpsbe082330.jpg

pho1to_zpsfe323f8e.jpg

I don't have a manual for yet so I was unsure. I'll give it a try once I figure out what I need to even take a look.

they are the lower crankshaft seals, they go in back to back and have a spring on both to help the seal. tricky to get out, i jerry rigged a bearing puller i had to get mine out, id replace the uppers too if i were you... i used the puller for the bearing and upper seals and once i got them out i used a broomstick that had to sanded a bit and pushed the lower seals out from above...

Latest posts