Needle sticking???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper6322

Reaction score
I have a 53' evinrude 3hp and it seems that the float needle is sticking, when I rebuild the carb I replaced the needle and seat and the new one had what looks like a rubber tip,I'm assuming that's not a problem since it and the seat came together...I thoroughly cleaned the varnish from both but just moving the float gently by hand it is still sticking. Sometimes it wil drop in a second or two and sometimes it doesn't. Any ideas on what causes this and how to fix it?

I chased this problem around on my '87 Nissan NS15B. It turned out I had ever so slight a reverse suction on the needle while it was seated. My carb has the diaphram fuel pump located right next to the float bowl. Running the carb dry then ***** slapping the cowl while retrieving the boat seems to cure it.

Are the technical instructions for a "***** slap" in the owners manual? lol just kidding, mine is a gravity fed fuel tank, and does it even when it's off the motor and completely dry, could that still be the problem?

Figured it out...there is a small wire, almost likes cotter pin that hooks to the bottom of the needle and loops through a hole in the hinge part of the float,mechanically linking the needle to the float, really genius in its simplicity, and I felt dumb for not thinking of it myself.

Latest posts