New motor selection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhyland

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 14' Sears Gamefisher V-Hull. I mostly use it in small local lakes and ponds. For 99% of the places I fish the trolling motor is perfect. I had a Honda 9.9 from a RIB I own and put that on the boat but it seems heavy and really more that I need. All the places I go have a small HP limit or are No Wake zones.

The 9.9 has always be more trouble that it's worth. I've spent more money than it cost trying to keep it running over the last 10 years.

I'm thinking of a 5HP with and integrated tank.... The Merc looks good, but I have also owned Yamaha and throught they were excellent motors.

Anyone have thoughts on the downsizing, and good motors in the 5 to 6hp range with integrated tank?

Thanks,
Chris

The 5hp should push you along pretty good. I had one a couple of years ago, and although it would not plane my 16' v-hull, it moved along fairly well. It was a 1998 single cylinder 2-stroke Force (by Mercury Marine) and only weighed 37 pounds.
I haven't had any of the newer, 4-strokes, so don't have a reference on them.

Thanks Ringo,

the places I go wouldn't allow getting a boat up on plane... So I'm looking for lite and quiet.... The Merc unlike the Yamaha has through hub exhaust so the motor is very quiet.

I've always heard that Tohatsus and Mercs under 30 hp are the same engine but Tohatsus are less expensive so you might take that into consideration. Just my 2 cents

new mercs under 30 and Evinrudes under 15 are Tohatsus, so consider them to save some money, but make sure your dealer will work on it. I've had a 5 horse 1954 Sea king on a 1448 mod v, and it was fine for small inland fishing, top speed about 5-6 mph. Also consider an older OMC 2 stroke, they're usually $2-300 on craigslist, parts are easy to get, and 2 stroke is a little lighter. Good luck!