steering on a 1970 Wards Sea King 6hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper6322

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just picked this motor up the steering is really stiff, it moves but not easily at all, is there a mechanical adjustment for this or some kind of lube that needs to go in there for it? thanks in advance guys

There may be a friction adjustment. Look, from the front of the engine, just above the transom and inbetween the transom brackets and see if you see a screw and spring there. If so, try backing it off. If it is there and it has no effect then you may want to see if you can find a zirc fitting on the steering bracket. Tilt the engine up and look up in there.

there is a zerk fitting there, and 2 plug screws similar to the ones for your lower unit oil to go, do they serve the same purpose for grease? I'm assuming that there is a ton of dried up grease inside here, do i need to take it all apart and clean it out, or will continuing to put grease in the fitting eventually work it all out?

Add grease via the zirc until it runs out either the top or bottom.
In the front of the engine, below the cowling and the lower motor pan is where I am talking about to locate a friction screw.
You will see the two transom brackets and in between these brackets is the steering bracket. The steering bracket has the throttle handle assembly coming off of it. Look underneath the front of the steering bracket from the front and see if you see a screw pointed back at you. If so that is the steering friction screw.

Latest posts