Yet another Prop Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RivRunR

Reaction score
My current prop does "ok" but it's kind of beat up, and probably needs to be replaced.

Even before I abused it, it tended to bog down if I threw the throttle to it from dead stop, and I'd have to ease into it to get on plane, which usually happens when it gets to about 14 mph or so. Generally I run about 22 -24 mph @ 4300-4500 rpm. I'm not looking for tremendous hole-shot, or significantly more top end speed, but just wondered if there might be a better prop to get up on plane easier, (which might give me more mpg ?), without sacrificing too much top end. Looking for more of a happy median I guess.

Hull: Lowe 1752 VPT (heavy)
Motor: Suzuki DF60A 4 stroke (60 hp)
Current Prop: 11 1/4 x 15 (3 blade)
RPM @ WOT: 5900-6000
GPS Speed: 34.5 mph (best ever on flat water, no wind)

Here's the only Boat Test I could find that looks like a comparable boat.

And here's Suzuki's prop chart:
Suz_DF60A_Prop_Chart.jpg

Thanks!

You still have some room to go up with your RPM's. If you drop to a 14" pitch 3 blade or a 13" pitch 4 blade you will get a better hole shot. The 4 blade will keep you on plane at lower speeds and give better mid-range performance.

Thanks...

The only 13 pitch 4 blade I've found is a Solas 10 1/2 x 13, which is 3/4" less diameter (unless I go stainless at 2 times the $'s), so what's the impact of that change in diameter?

I did find a couple of 3 blade 11 1/4 x 14 from Michigan Wheel, which is the same diameter with 1 degree less pitch than the one that's on there now (11 1/4 x 15 x 3).

Again, thanks for the help.

I would not worry too much about the diameter of the prop. The smaller diameter will increase your RPM's slightly. Unless your boat is extremely heavy, diameter will not effect performance. If it is really heavy, then you want to swing the largest diameter you can get. You also have to figure blade cupping into the equation. Different props and manufactures will have different amounts of cupping on the blades. Also if you are struggling with accleration, you may want to look at getting a vented prop or drilling vent holes. I would not go with a SS prop if you are hitting hazzard frequently. You are better off with a damaged prop then a damaged prop shaft or seals.

Thanks man...
I'm looking at Suzuki's 11 3/8 x 14 x 3 blade prop, following your suggestion about decreased pitch from 15 to 14 giving me better hole-shot & up on plane faster, and that using a Suzuki recommended prop will keep me within max rpms?

As a rule of thumb, every inch you decrease your pitch, you increase your rpm's by 150. Your max is 6300, I believe, well within the range.

Latest posts