Painting motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cole.manns

Reaction score
Have any of yall painnted a outboard? Im thinkin about painting my 84 evinrude 8 horse. If you have how did it turn out and how did you go about it? Any help appreciated. Thanks

It's just like painting anything else.

Clean, sand, prime, paint.

Just a lot of prep involved in removing all the grease and taping up everything that should not have paint on it (or in it).

^^^^ automotive grade enamel is my fav. spray paint i get the duplicolor one and its good to 500 degrees and comes out with a super nice finish almost like a powder coating finish nice and thick

I repainted this 1975 Mercury this past spring. As stated, clean (I used a strong degreaser and a steam cleaner), sand (final prep sanding was with 400 grit wet sand), mask, prime (used an automotive self etching), and paint (used Imron paint). I'm not sure what class it fits in. I got it from a friend that uses it to paint his airplane (crop duster) with, so maybe it's an aviation paint. Masking was easy since I completely disassembled the motor before hand.

72e6e0cf.jpg

63c4749e.jpg

db896448.jpg

Thanks Jasper, I hope to get new decals for it some day but right now they cost too much for me to justify when there are things my boat or my tackle box could use more.

JMichael said:
I repainted this 1975 Mercury this past spring. As stated, clean (I used a strong degreaser and a steam cleaner), sand (final prep sanding was with 400 grit wet sand), mask, prime (used an automotive self etching), and paint (used Imron paint). I'm not sure what class it fits in. I got it from a friend that uses it to paint his airplane (crop duster) with, so maybe it's an aviation paint. Masking was easy since I completely disassembled the motor before hand.

72e6e0cf.jpg

63c4749e.jpg

db896448.jpg

Looks awesome bud good work.

nymarine has factory matched paint. also has decals although not factory they are an exact match and very good quality...

Latest posts