2002 mercury 9.9 acting funny

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean.buehrle

Reaction score
Hi

While trolling at pretty much high idle my motor is doing what seems like skipping a beat or something.

It makes a small poof sound and then some blue smoke comes out.

It only does it like once every 15-30 minutes , not really bothering me but just wondering of this is normal.

It starts and runs pretty good otherwise

Thanks .

occasional backfire is normal, could be corrected by thoroughlt cleaning the carb to remove all the gunk. Once it's clean and rebuilt with the low speed needle tuned, it will meter fuel better and this will stop happening. In the mean time new plugs may be a cheap alternative.

I would definitely clean the Carb and change the plugs. Trolling with a 2 stroke is not good for it. A 2 stroke gets the correct amount of oil when it is running wide open. I have learned this from the technician at work. So "babying" or trolling with a 2 stroke actually tears them up quicker than running wide open. Just figured I would throw that tid bit out there.

Cleaning the carb and new plugs would be the best route but you could just throw some new plugs in and run a tank or two of gas treated with seafoam through it and see if that cleans it up any.

Ok
Thanks for the reply's

I do not trust myself with cleaning a carb so at some point I will schedule a professional to look at that.

I will run a couple tanks with seafoam and change the plug before bringing it in for the winter.

Thanks .