5hp Briggs & Stratton outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyP

Reaction score
I currently have a 5hp Briggs on the back of my 14' tracker topper. The motor stays bogged down while running it (I weigh 330) and I don't want to burn the engine up. And by bogged down I mean the boat wont get on plane, and yes the motor is trimmed right. The prop size is 7.8x8. My question is, does anybody think the lower unit would be able to stand the power of a twin cylinder 20hp briggs? I have one that runs on an old lawn mower that needs a deck and transaxle. Or should I just save my money for a 9.9 or 15 mercury?

I can't see 5hp ever getting a boat that size with that much weight on plane, so no surprise there. I've never examined one of those briggs outboard setups in person so I have no idea if it would hold up to the hp increase. My guess would be that it wouldn't last long and you'd need a bigger prop even if it did. Save your money and some headaches and just buy a bigger outboard like a 15-25hp.

I've been thinking that would be the better route to go, buying a new one. I may try to sell the Briggs before long and use that money towards a newer bigger motor. I may go with a 9.9 and when the warranty is up on it I could get a 15hp Carb and defuser and then I would have a 15hp with 9.9 badges and serial number. :)

Yep, I think you'll be limited to a 4 cycle when you buy a new one and it's not going to be the same as it was to up the hp on the 2 cycle motors.

Latest posts