hydrofoil stabilizer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it worth putting hydrofoils on a 15 hp johnson outfitted on a 14 ft v hull tracker plain ol guide v 14

IMHO...
The first and often best solution (posted above) "optimize the tilt setting and weight distribution in the boat."

If that doesn't work, rather than slowing your boat down with a foil, spend a few bucks more and get Smart Tabs.

I had "getting up on plane" issues on a boat years ago. Local boat guy suggested a hydrofoil.

It helped and worked well, but I lost speed. Boat felt "squirrly" when she got up to top speed. There is a reason for this, which, at the time, I did not understand.

Did some research and took the foil off, and put Smart Tabs on. ALL of my issues were cured and I wouldn't take them off for any money.....unless....I replaced them with adjustable Lencos or Bennetts. But .....the adjustable tabs cost a lot more, and for my purposes....the Smart Tabs do the job.

Do a Google search for Smart Tabs. Company that makes them is Nautilis ??? They have a GREAT video on their web site that does a nice comparison of foils vs tabs.

I've put Smart Tabs on three boats and have never been sorry.
regards, rich

IMO, it doesn't mater what you do, you're not going to get the boat to plane with a 4hp. Until this past spring, I owned a 12' semi v with a 4 hp merc. It didn't mater if it was just me and fuel or me/fuel/and 300 more lbs, the boat was going to go between 6-6.4mph not mater what setup I used. Over time, I tried every conceivable weight distribution and tilt setting. My buddy has a 4hp Johnson and gets almost identical results with a slightly larger jon boat.

well thanks for the info..everybody.....this is my first boat.....im used to my kayak...and was wondering if it was worth it....im going to enjoy not paddling everywhere ....LOL.. :lol:

Hi
I'm new to the forum too...been trolling for a while. I made by own "foil" so to speak, well really just extended the cavitation plate to make it bigger, everything was way to big for my 6hp evinrude. It helped, but slowed it down on top speed, only a couple mph. Tuning my motor, playing with the tilt and moving the wieght around helped the most. I even changed the prop pitch from a two blade 7 1/4 to a three blade 7.. got me on a plane faster but slowed it down to much with the foil on it. It has taken a lot of tinkering.
Hope this helps you out.

ATT...if you are handy enough to make a foil, I'd bet you could make a set of smart tabs, too. That way, you won't lose the needed hull speed to .....maybe...get you on plane.

More power is almost always the answer, though.

Rich

Hey Rich
Funny you mention about making a set fo smart tabs....every since I since I read your thread about smart tabs fixing your problem I have been checking them out. It nice to find out what works and what works better....Man I love this forum!!