40HP Mariner Not running on one cylinder

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traybore

Reaction score
I have a 1980's(?) Mariner 40HP. The motor runs, but has issues as far as performance. After taking the carbs off, the float needle on cyl #2 was corroded shut, so rebuilt both carbs. Now, it appears to be only firing on cyl #2. I can run it with the plug wire disconnected from Cyl#1 but not disconnected from Cyl #2. I dont know if these motors have points, if it could be a timing issue? So Im not sure what to check next? Thanks!

Sounds like you've narrowed it down to a fuel issue. Make sure carb 1 is reassembled correctly, and linkage with other carb and throttle is correct. The manual should layout the "link and sync" process.

Take a squirt bottle of fuel and oil and shoot a little down the carb throat. See if it picks up. Or, pop your hand over the carb momentarily and see if it picks up.
Am assuming you know if the compression is good and that water is not getting into #1 cyl. by looking at the plugs at least.

Compression both cyl were around 155PSI if I recall correctly. I do not see any evidence of water in the cyl. I cant say for sure that the cylinder is not running when both plugs are connected, Im just assuming something is not right with it since it wont fire up on only that cylinder, and I cant seem to get idle below 1900RPM. Ill check into the linkages, thanks!

Well, I guess the carburetor was the problem. Took it out to the lake last weekend. Hit 28MPH on GPS as opposed to the previous 8MPH... Much improved. Now on the the fuel pump as it seems to be going out.

Latest posts