Engine flooding if it doesn't pull-start on the first try?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOUSE

Reaction score
Hey guys, I posted this on my build page, but wanted to ask in this forum to get more feedback.

Re: 1996 Force 9.9hp outboard (pull-start):

My motor starts up 95% of the time on the first pull. However, if for whatever reason it doesn't, it will not start on the second or third pull unless I let it sit for a few minutes. It seems like I am flooding the engine, but I'm not priming it or squeezing the fuel bulb. I just pull the cord with the throttle in the 'start' position and the engine in neutral. Does that sound normal? It has really thick white smoke almost every time it starts up which makes me think it is flooding with that single pull.

I can't quite figure this one out...any ideas?

Thanks

A flooded engine will produce black smoke when running. White smoke is from the oil mix in the fuel burning. Are you sure you've got your fuel/oil mixed at the proper ratio and you're using fresh gas? Is the choke set to OFF before the second pull?

JMichael said:
A flooded engine will produce black smoke when running. White smoke is from the oil mix in the fuel burning. Are you sure you've got your fuel/oil mixed at the proper ratio and you're using fresh gas? Is the choke set to OFF before the second pull?

Hey JMichael, thanks a ton for the fast reply...It's relatively fresh gas from the beginning of the year (May) but I've only had the boat out 3 times, so it's been sitting in my garage for most of the summer. Perhaps I just need to shake the 10gallon tank to mix it up better. I remember the gas tank spilling a bit in my garage from overheating...Perhaps some of the gas evaporated and there's too much oil in the mixture now?

(I've got the choke off though).

Ethanol gas will begin to phase seperate (at the chemical level) in about 15 days and it will draw in moisture from the air. Shaking it won't help that problem but it will mix the water and gas up for a few minutes. Make sure to use marine stabalizer it will help a little longer.

Non ethanol will do the same but it takes about 4 to 5 weeks...yeah I know, all our fuel sucks.

As to your problem sounds like a choke issue, you should be priming the fuel ball up like normal to make sure it is there and ready. It sounds like it may not be getting too much but using what it has sitting in the bowl to try and start and then there is not enough there to keep it up. Of course I could be nuts #-o

Bufford

I do notice that after it starts I have to give it gas to prevent it from dying on me. When I rev it, it seems to pour out the white smoke pretty heavily. Sometimes it sputters a bit and sounds like it isn't firing on both cylinders. Would carb build up cause these symptoms? I have some Seafoam that I was going to run through the engine before I store it for the winter. I'll also be getting some fresh fuel before I use it again.

Do you guys suggest that I get a smaller gas tank or maybe just fill it up half way next time? I only use the boat about 5 times a season. I'll definitely try the Stabil in the next batch. I bought some, but I thought I was supposed to wait until I was ready to store the boat over the winter before putting that stuff in the tank.

Thanks for your reply, too RB. As you can tell, I am learning most of this stuff as I go...I'm a complete newb with outboards but I greatly appreciate the help from the TinBoat community. You guys are awesome :)

Gas purchased in May is no where near being "fresh". That would be the equivalent of storing it over the fall and winter months. As little as you use your boat, you should try to buy only about as much fuel as you are going to use for that fishing trip. That what you're not storing several gallons for prolonged periods. Also try to find a gas station that doesn't add ethanol to their gas. Fuel stabilizer can and should be used any time the fuel isn't going to be used for a prolonged period. While that means fall/winter for most things, it can also be used the rest of the year if required. Seafoam works well to help keep the fuel system clean but it also works well as a fuel stabilizer. I've been using it for several years now in my mowers, motorcycle, and any other fuel that gets stored for the winter.

For your motor problems, I'd start by pulling the carb off and cleaning it real well and maybe install some new plugs.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm learning all of this as I go. I'll try the Start-tron or buy new fuel for the next trip, I'm not sure how much is left in the tank. I'll only buy a few gallons at a time in the future and mix it fresh as I use it. I'm planning on replacing the spark plugs anyways since it's cheap and easy to do. If I buy the same kind that are in there or in the motor's manual, do I need to space them or anything?

I'll attempt the carb cleaning over the winter, but that's completely foreign territory at that point. I'm up for the challenge though! I'm sure I'll learn a lot from the project.

Thanks again.

Absent a different recommendation from a highly trusted mechanic, I always buy the plugs specified in the manual and, yes, you will have to gap them per the manual. Easy to do, but important.

Float could be set to high or stuck. If it floods hold throttle wide open pull a couple times to.clean it out, then it should start.