Shear pin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I know that motors with shear pins are a dying breed, but I have a '65 Johnson 5hp that I need to get a few pins for before I get stuck on the river!! Any suggestions on where I can find these?

ive seen them on ebay several times. if not you should be able to order them through any marina/dealer that carries evinrude. ive got a 62 5.5 fisherman and parts are still available for it so i dont see why you couldnt order a few. if by chance for some reason you couldnt wich i doubt there are a bazillion used omc parts that will still be around when most of us are tinkering on boats up in the sky.........

just did a search on ebay for ''johnson outboard shear pin'' and i beleive they have what you need" if not try marineengines.com

shawnfish said:
just did a search on ebay for ''johnson outboard shear pin'' and i beleive they have what you need" if not try marineengines.com

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I found some on ebay as well but was looking for something local. Thought maybe a hardware store would carry something that would work. Brass stock might be a good idea as well. Thanks again!!

My Grandfather used to have a 10 horse Bucaneer that used shear pins and he used a nail cut to length and that was very close in diameter and somehow they always worked.

a nail will work but you want something that will shear when you hit a rock its used to protect your motor

i just copied and pasted this from somewhere eles

"Originally Posted by Sid
people keep looking for a tuffer pin [ so it won't break] the Mfg put shear pins /, slip props, so the gear box won't break ,
some thing has to give when you hit a rock, even on the slip props motors, that you can't beef it up there gear boxs will go out if you bang it lot , if you put shear pins that are stronger than the MFG use in there you are playing with fire an you get burned , [ long walk back ] 99 % of the time going at a slow speed you won't have a problem it is when you are up at a high speed [ canoe ? ] that is when you loose your gear boxes to rocks
what I am trying to say is there is no free lunch when you put heavy shear pins [tuffer] be carfull as it will over stress your geag box when you hit the rocks [yes you will do it ]

SID
Ayup. A 3/16" X 36" piece of brass brazing rod makes a lot of cheap OMC shear pins. They shear easy, maybe just a little too easy but are very forgiving on splines, gears and $150 props. Makes a guy pay close attention picking his path up through a white shoal but that's a good thing anyway. A lot of OMC motors came from the factory with brass shear pins. Zack

nick4203 said:
a nail will work but you want something that will shear when you hit a rock its used to protect your motor

i just copied and pasted this from somewhere eles

"Originally Posted by Sid
people keep looking for a tuffer pin [ so it won't break] the Mfg put shear pins /, slip props, so the gear box won't break ,
some thing has to give when you hit a rock, even on the slip props motors, that you can't beef it up there gear boxs will go out if you bang it lot , if you put shear pins that are stronger than the MFG use in there you are playing with fire an you get burned , [ long walk back ] 99 % of the time going at a slow speed you won't have a problem it is when you are up at a high speed [ canoe ? ] that is when you loose your gear boxes to rocks
what I am trying to say is there is no free lunch when you put heavy shear pins [tuffer] be carfull as it will over stress your geag box when you hit the rocks [yes you will do it ]

SID

Ayup. A 3/16" X 36" piece of brass brazing rod makes a lot of cheap OMC shear pins. They shear easy, maybe just a little too easy but are very forgiving on splines, gears and $150 props. Makes a guy pay close attention picking his path up through a white shoal but that's a good thing anyway. A lot of OMC motors came from the factory with brass shear pins. Zack

X2 go with brass and keep a few in your tackle box along with some needle nose pliers.

It is always nice to go to a local Johnson/Evinrude dealer and support them when you can....even if it is only to buy a few shear pins. They can supply you with every service part available for that engine as well (carb kits, gasket sets, seal kits, etc.) so that way when you need them to answer a question they may recognize you as a patron of their business and not someone looking for a free diagnosis.