Looking for an upgrade

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HahnZooKeeper

Reaction score
Hello All,
We have recently finished a build and with all of the mods, the boat has gained a little weight. The 9.8hp Mercury still does OK, but I would like to get an 18hp or 20hp for next season. I am pretty sure I need a long shaft and would like to stick with an older Mercury (familiarity). Not Having alot of expendable cash righ now, just getting started looking. I would like to use the 9.8hp as a trade +$, but don't really know what it's worth either. I would love to go with a four stroke, but I think they're out of my $ league. HELP PLEASE!

Check the height of your transom - that will tell you long shaft or short shaft. Long shaft is 20" and the short shaft is 15" to keel (I may be wrong, but I think that's the right numbers.)

But as far as motors, keep an eye on craigslist. You should be able to find some pretty good motors out there. I've got a 70 and a 73 Johnson 20hp and they work great.

Shawnfish,
The boat is a 14' Starcraft rated for a 25hp motor. We removed the middle seat, installed the 3/4" thick flat floor on a wood frame, casting deck, battery/electrical compartment, and a foot control Minn Kota trolling motor at the bow. I'm really not sure of the weight of the boat with or without people. I estimate that we added about 150-180lbs. with all the mods.
The outboard is a 1974 Mercury 9.8hp. Rebuilt the carb last year along with new plugs. It runs great, but is a little short on power with the additional weight. I think you can click the hyperlink at the bottom of this post to see our pics.

HahnZooKeeper said:
Shawnfish,
The boat is a 14' Starcraft rated for a 25hp motor. We removed the middle seat, installed the 3/4" thick flat floor on a wood frame, casting deck, battery/electrical compartment, and a foot control Minn Kota trolling motor at the bow. I'm really not sure of the weight of the boat with or without people. I estimate that we added about 150-180lbs. with all the mods.
The outboard is a 1974 Mercury 9.8hp. Rebuilt the carb last year along with new plugs. It runs great, but is a little short on power with the additional weight. I think you can click the hyperlink at the bottom of this post to see our pics.

have you checked your RPM's? added weight will make your prop(motor)work harder and reduce RPM's and power. maybe try a prop with less pitch. if i was you i would go with the biggest motor you could buy that being a 25hp.

Shawnfish,
Thanks I have thought about that, but I am not sure of how to check the RPMs. I would need to check with the boat in the water, correct? I am not sure what tools I would need for this either.

Latest posts