Gaining power in turns

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skully

Reaction score
Ok hopefully I can get some kind of logical answer on this one> I have a 15hp johnson 1976 model points and condenser. I have noticed that when I am in a turning situation my motor seems to accelerate and when I am going straight ahead it slows down 2 mph. I have the motor on a 14ft Tracker deep V guide aluminum. I dont know if I am answering my own question but could it be because half of the rear of the boat is semi out of the water meaning less drag. And if drag is the problem can it be remedied via hydro or trim tabs seems silly on a 14 ft tinny with a 15hp setup.. Any guesses

You should try a different pitch prop 1st - you are likely turning a prop that is a little bit to much for your set up

Captain Ahab said:
You should try a different pitch prop 1st - you are likely turning a prop that is a little bit to much for your set up
HEY CAP ITS A 91/2X10 AND THAT THE STOCK PROP GIVING THE SET I EXPLAINED COULD IT BE THE PROP i FEEL IS HOULD BE GETTING BETTER THAN 15 MPH ANYWAYS ITS ALL TUNED UP EVERYTHING IS SYNCHED ETC ETC

richg99 said:
"seems silly on a 14 ft".....

Hmmmm seems to me that the smaller and lighter the boat and power...the MORE effect.....a proper addition (prop/tabs/etc.) would make. rich

Rich I was really considering the hydros but was afraid to pull the trigger on them thinking it would not help interesting that you would say that the lighter the boat the smaller the motor the more of an impact. I might just do the foils.....

Skully said:
Captain Ahab said:
HEY CAP ITS A 91/2X10 AND THAT THE STOCK PROP GIVING THE SET I EXPLAINED COULD IT BE THE PROP i FEEL IS HOULD BE GETTING BETTER THAN 15 MPH ANYWAYS ITS ALL TUNED UP EVERYTHING IS SYNCHED ETC ETC

So you say a smaller prop then a 91/2 x 10

Skully,,,,your money, your choice.

However, I am a big proponent of tabs (any tabs)over foils. Visit the Smart Tabs web site and look at the videos. It may give you more to think about befofre spending your $$$$

Rich

Charger25 said:
Hey Skully, what hole is the pin in? Sounds like its blowing out on turns.
2ND HOLE ON THE PIN THAT SOUNDS VALID I WILL LOWER IT TO THE 1ST HOLE AND SEE BUT THE 8 INCH PITCH SHOULD GET ME MORE RPMS OVER THE 10 AND IT WOULD ONLY BE IN THE NIEGHBORHOOD OF 400 RPMS MORE

Bugpac said:
If your blowing out you should slow down, and the rpms will jump way up.

I have noticed that when I am in a turning situation my motor seems to accelerate and when I am going straight ahead it slows down 2 mph.

well he did state that it revs up on turns.

Latest posts