Prop Spin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highvoltageva

Reaction score
I just put my new Tin Project in the water today. The motor ran great in the yard but when i put it in gear in the river it would get to around 1/4 throttle and then it would rev really high but not move anywhere. Is this prop spin from a bad Hub??? also how far into the water should the motor/prop be. thanks. I talked to someone who said it sounds like prop spin but wanted to get more opinions.

If its an aluminum prop , might be better to get a new one. If it stainless call your local prop shop and ask for a price quote.

First thing first! Look at your motor set up. Is the cavitation plate on your motor about even with the bottom of the boat? If it is then you need to find out if your hub is spun. Take a sharpie and draw a line from the hub across to the prop. Test your motor. If the line is broken, your hub is spun and you need a new hub or prop. That all depends on what motor you have and what is easier to do.

The motor is a 15hp johnson. And yes it does have an aluminum prop. my local prop shop said today he could rehub it for less the $50.00 including parts and labor. i think i may get a new prop as well as have this one rehubbed. i have found a new one for around $60.00. the cavitation plate is about and inches or so above the bottom of the boat but once in the water it sits about at water level or slightly below. thanks

highvoltageva said:
The motor is a 15hp johnson. And yes it does have an aluminum prop. my local prop shop said today he could rehub it for less the $50.00 including parts and labor. i think i may get a new prop as well as have this one rehubbed. i have found a new one for around $60.00. the cavitation plate is about and inches or so above the bottom of the boat but once in the water it sits about at water level or slightly below. thanks
You might want to edit this so we know how many inches and add some pictures. We love pictures!

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
highvoltageva said:
You might want to edit this so we know how many inches and add some pictures. We love pictures!
Lckst..,,, what team you work for? Ive did a bit of race work myself. Off topic but i was glancing at your profile.

I found one for sale locally, it's a 10x13. would that work on my 15hp. the seller says it is for a 20-30 hp johnson??? could i go from a 9 1/2 x 10 to a 10x13???????

That prop for the 20 hp will not fit on your 15. Different size gear case on those motors. 9.9 and 15 are interchangable. How much does your boat weigh?

The boat is a 1974 fisher marine 1648. it weights around 275 i'm guessing. i'm a pretty strong guy and it takes 3 of us to lift it off trailer.

The 8 would work good, especially if three of you are getting in. Its a omc prop with a few hours on it, i changed to a 7 after i did the mod. Its a thru hub, make me an offer if your interested.

if your cavitation plate sits an inch or a hair more above the hull and it is just below water level when in the water then something is not right with your info...ive never seen any boat only displacing an inch of water, but if that info is right your prop is too high and in dirty water(dirty being the water displaced from the bottom of the transom is turbulent and has air bubbles and your props not gripping the water)....

I took it back out today after having my prop rehubbed and had same issue as before. i called my prop guy and he said that it must be to high on transom. I measured it when i got home and found the cavitation plate to be 2" above the bottom of the hull. abd my transom measure 20" from top to bottom. :x so i think i will have to cut a notch in it to lower the motor.

A guy on the other board had a similar problem ,Maybe a jack plate to lower it ? just a thought.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28084&start=0

Latest posts