Prop Nut Torque

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RivRunR

Reaction score
I know this is a wild shot in the dark, but does anybody know the torque spec for a Suzuki DF60-A prop nut?

Google resulted in everything from "finger-tight" to 120 ft lbs, and the Suzuki marine site was really helpful with their "call a dealer, don't call us" routine.

Also, the instructions call for Suzuki Super Lube (or something like that) on the splines, but can I just use the Mystic JP-6 (waterproof) grease I have on hand?

Thanks!

RR

The grease you have should be fine. In my experience they have always been hand tight with out any play front to back secured by a cotter pin. I'd get in touch with your local dealer if you are unsure about this though.. Depending on how you prop nuts looks, might be a give away on how much torque you could reasonably apply. Most OMC nuts have plastic covers, quite obvious any amount of torque and they would break. If you have a nut, then I'd apply torque until you notice the prop not being able to spin freely, then back off it a turn or so..

Thanks sixgun.

I started by putting a torque wrench on the old nut to see what the torque was, but it was below the minimum on the wrench, so that didn't help.
When I put the new prop nut on and hand tightened it, there was only about a max of 1/8 turn left to line up the cotter pin, so that's what I went with (since I had no choice!).

RivRunR said:
Thanks sixgun.

I started by putting a torque wrench on the old nut to see what the torque was, but it was below the minimum on the wrench, so that didn't help.
When I put the new prop nut on and hand tightened it, there was only about a max of 1/8 turn left to line up the cotter pin, so that's what I went with (since I had no choice!).

that's all you needed... usually (and I may be wrong) but I think you hand tighten down, then back off a quarter turn - that's usually the spot where the cotter pin goes through the nut

Yeah, backing it off for the cotter pin is usually what I'd do, but backing it off left it a little loose, so I just tightened another 1/8.