Horse Power Ponies

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skully

Reaction score
Ok this has been beaten to death I'm sure. Here goes I have a 14ft 2011 tracker guide v big deep v hull. It is rated for 25 hp....I got a chance at a 30 hp 2 stroke same weight as a 25 not an ounce more. I understand the difference is minimal between a 25 and 30. So I want to go for it. Yea yea I know insurance and such but we are talking a 1988 motor and a 5 hp increase over whats rated. I have added floors and such so the extra hp will help I'm runnin a 15 right now...Give me some feed back thanks. Skully

I think Jim is correct, if anything happens your screwed, with this day and age people sue if your farts don't smell right. The risk, you have to decide. 30 sounds nice thats what i want myself.

Skully said:
Ok this has been beaten to death I'm sure. Here goes I have a 14ft 2011 tracker guide v big deep v hull. It is rated for 25 hp....I got a chance at a 30 hp 2 stroke same weight as a 25 not an ounce more. I understand the difference is minimal between a 25 and 30. So I want to go for it. Yea yea I know insurance and such but we are talking a 1988 motor and a 5 hp increase over whats rated. I have added floors and such so the extra hp will help I'm runnin a 15 right now...Give me some feed back thanks. Skully

get it and don't regret it.

Bugpac said:
I think Jim is correct, if anything happens your screwed, with this day and age people sue if your farts don't smell right. The risk, you have to decide. 30 sounds nice thats what i want myself.
I would think we are accountable for all we do but 5 hp difference would not really constitute neglagence. It would be what you were doing that would dictate negligence. People build hot rods and put huge motors in them are they negligent if they have an accident yea if they are acting fool just saying..

russ010 said:
Skully said:

KINDA WHAT I AM THINKING TINNYS COME AND GO BUT A SOLID MOTOR WE TEND TO HOLD ON TO. IF IT PANS OUT TO BE A SOLID MOTOR I MIGHT DO THE DEAL..

russ010 said:
Skully said:

+1

Skully said:
russ010 said:
Skully said:

KINDA WHAT I AM THINKING TINNYS COME AND GO BUT A SOLID MOTOR WE TEND TO HOLD ON TO. IF IT PANS OUT TO BE A SOLID MOTOR I MIGHT DO THE DEAL..

Hopefully it pans out to be a good motor. Yeah I'd pull the trigger on that, doubling your HP?!?!? SWEEEETTTT !!

I know in TN, you could possibly be charged with reckless operation. However, I am technically doing the same thing on my boat (did the carb and intake conversion). If it is an OMC, you could either find a new cowl or rebadge the old one. I would just take the insert out of the badge on the back of the cowl. Most officers wont look at the model number on the clamp, I know I dont. :D

Dustin4185 said:
I know in TN, you could possibly be charged with reckless operation. However, I am technically doing the same thing on my boat (did the carb and intake conversion). If it is an OMC, you could either find a new cowl or rebadge the old one. I would just take the insert out of the badge on the back of the cowl. Most officers wont look at the model number on the clamp, I know I dont. :D

I want to thank everyone for the input, being a retired law enforcement officer. I have always taken the
legal way of doing things makes me enjoy fishing and life in general and not have to worry about skirting the law. If it is legal or not I have an obligation to myself as well as the boating public not to over power my vessel now this can be beaten to death by saying 5 hp over limit is no big deal but to me just knowing it aint right does not set well with me. As i said when i go fishing I go to enjoy myself and don't want the hassle or black cloud over my head about engine power and laws and liability so with that being said I will be passing on the motor swap. Thank you all for your words.

Skully said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
So your saying you never have gone over the speed limit?

absolutly not I do that on a daily basis but I aint fishin when I do [-X
I hope you find a yourself very nice 25 hp motor.

I understand what you are saying about following the law, I come from a long line of cops, but putting a motor that goes over 5 hp what your boat is rated for is not illegal and 5 horses probably won't be that noticeable. As far as being liable for any accidents....wouldn't you be liable even if you had a 9.9 on there and had an at fault accident? You aren't talking about throwing a 90 horse and going flying around the lake, you are putting it on a fishing boat and from what you have said so far you are a responsible, intelligent person. I would have a problem with it if you had said, "Man, I can't wait to put that motor on there and race my buddy or try to jump that ski dock!" Personally, I want to put a 40 horse on my boat that is rated for 30 horse...as long as the weight difference is not too great I don't think it will be a big deal. I know myself well enough to know I won't be racing or anything else stupid, so what's the harm? As far as insurance goes, boating insurance doesn't make sense to me. If you want to stick with the 25 horse then do it man, but think hard about it and good luck!
Chris

A sticker kit for that new 25hp motor is only like 25bucks on eBay let It rip is what I say. Just like people making a 9.9 a 15 so what

harleydoc said:
A sticker kit for that new 25hp motor is only like 25bucks on eBay let It rip is what I say. Just like people making a 9.9 a 15 so what

Very true, I've seen it alot on HP restricted lakes.

Latest posts