Control Box Cable Run

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcaswell

Reaction score
Experts--

Got a question and need the wisdom of you boys-- concerning my shift/throttle cable run from my 30HP merc to the standard merc side mount control box

The cable run is to a new center center console on my 1648 mod and I dont want to run out and around the gunwale, I want to run down to floor, up the spine and then up to center console where the side mount control box will be located. this is alot of bends and turns-

A) CAN I DO THIS? Is is smart? etc.
B) How much room will I need for the wide bends? as the cables cant just be bent 90 degrees etc. as in will the stick out

See diagram Pic below - I guess I got the same issue with the steering cable too?

I can replace the existing 9' cables with 14' for roughly $60

Cables- https://www.go2marine.com/item/98977/control-cables-model-cc179-replaces-cc635-for-mercury-controls-cc17914.html

MY NEW MOD! https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28261

Attachments

• Control Box Cable Run Diagram.png
    Control Box Cable Run Diagram.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 236
Instead of having the control box parallel to the floor tilt it back.

Thanks Bud- thats a great idea and I will def tilt it - I am debating how to run the cables under the ply deck

BTW- the new teleflex cables CCX17914 TFCTREME that replace the old CC179's are MUCH more flexible and managable- so thats good.

I got two options- see diagram-- I dont have enough room to run a PVC under the Ribs, and I can run the controls under the ribs along the water drain channels, but it would be just cable on boat bottom, and as you know, thats where water (if any) drains down to the back of the boat. if I ran the controls via a PVC pipe I would need to drill through every rib (4) and run a pipe and then run the cables through the pipe, that can be done, but I wonder if drilling through all four rinbs from back to center bench, (say a 1'' hole) is smart and will hurt their structural integrity? I can reinforce them etc, but sounds like a pain. but might be what I have to do, the PLY deck will lay flat on top of the ribs so as far as a PVC run, thats my only option really.

As for my steering cable- that puppy is a beast and I might just say screw it and run it along the gun wale tough tough run under the deck.

Thanks again for all of your ideas!

Attachments

• Control Cables RUN 1648 MonArk.png
    Control Cables RUN 1648 MonArk.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 194

Latest posts