opinions on new 4 strokes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semojetman

Reaction score
What does everyone think of the current model motors available?
Im talkin around the 25,40,60 range.

Mercury 4 stroke
Yamaha 4 stroke
Eninrude Etec (comparable to a 4 stroke)
Honda

I have a Yamaha 25 SEHA that I bought new almost 2 years ago. Runs like a top; quiet and great on gas. I wish it was just a little bit lighter. I've hit 28mph in my 1448 (lots of mods) with it, but avg top speed is about 26mph. With fine tuning, I'm sure I could get a little more. Runs smooth at low speed.

Put gas in it and go! No oil to mix or keep an eye on, no smoke pollution....change the oil and filter as needed.

Have read where the 4 strokes were prone to the carbs/efi clogging up due to the ethonal gas, but no 1st hand experience or knowledge. Just what I've read. Don't know if it was the early models only or applies to all of 'em, if any of it is true

My buddy has a 9.9 yamaha and swears by it. Had it three years now and no problems at all. Ethanol is bad for all small engines.

Bought two new Honda's, In 2010 a 2 Hp (Honda BF2) that we use as a kicker and in 2011 a 25 Hp (Honda BF25) and we love them. Why Honda ?....well,like the cars Honda makes their outboards are one of the most dependable motors you can own,experts at 4 stroke bar none and they are still Made in Japan =D> !...and they are installed on a (purchased new) 2010 Lund WC14...BTW,the 25 Hp made the Lund go 32 Km/h with two adults and a big dog...it did plane :D , we are beyond happy with our set up.
Thank you and Happy New Year !
Dan

ETEC-weighs every bit as much as a 4 stroke, uses the same fuel, costs more, UGLY, complicated EFI. They say maintenance isn't done until 300 hours. Yeah. Go ahead & replace the foot assembly and powerhead on that first service. Base price is around $4600.

Mercury-most of the small mercs are built by Tohatsu. So look up the specs on the Tohatsu 25. 3 cylinder. I have experience with one, while it's not bad, it's not a Honda or Yamaha. Makes a little more noise and seemed to be a little bit sluggish? $4100 base price (MFS25B)-weighs around 170 lbs electric start model.

Honda-overpriced. Comparable to Yamaha as far as quality but higher money. $4100. 3 cylinder. Weighs around 165-170 lbs depending on model (tiller, remote, long/short, electric start, etc).

Yamaha is the best value in my opinion. Still a simple carbureted motor-no expensive EFI to work with. Twin cylinder. Short shaft manual tilt electric start model is in the $3500 range, or WAS...2011 models and some of the 12 models. They now have tilt gas assist, which might add a little more $$. But it is the next best thing to power tilt.

I got prices a week ago for some 25's

Tohatsu rope start $3250
Yamaha rope start $3350
Mercury rope start $3200ish no prop. $3600 with custom stainless prop.

Haven't got a chance to check out honda or suzuki. I found out honda does financing. Thought that was pretty neat

thegr8cody said:
I got prices a week ago for some 25's

Tohatsu rope start $3250
Yamaha rope start $3350
Mercury rope start $3200ish no prop. $3600 with custom stainless prop.

Haven't got a chance to check out honda or suzuki. I found out honda does financing. Thought that was pretty neat

Just curious, where did you get those prices. I've been checking on 25's too.
Thanks

Carb motor or injected?
I switched from 90 Yamaha carb to a 90 Nissan(Tohatsu) injected two stroke, best move I ever made. Ran better, started easier, idled better, lots better fuel economy and nothing to ever hope to go back to a carb engine for. Excellent two stroke and I would still run one if they made something biger than a 90.
Now using a four stroke injected 115 Yamaha and love it, no oil to put in the tank, great economy, starts on the first turn of the key in 100 degree weather or 28 degrees. No choke, no smoke. Seven years and had to replace one fuel pump, that's it no other repairs except minor tune ups, oil change, fuel filter change. Has never failed to start, on GPS it has over 10,000 miles. This motor is used fishing 2-5 trips a week. This is in seven years of use or more than most folks would put on motor in 20-30 years.
I'd take a Honda if I had a chance or a Zuke 4 stroke. No black motors for me, I've had two and that's a lifetime supply.

hello folks im new to the sight and I have a 2006 mercury 15 hp 4 stroke,this is the first for me, I have just one ??? do these motors smoke a little out of the prop thanks

champ2977 said:
hello folks im new to the sight and I have a 2006 mercury 15 hp 4 stroke,this is the first for me, I have just one ??? do these motors smoke a little out of the prop thanks
After they have been sitting for a while and you first crank them it is common for them to smoke for a few seconds. This is because of the horizontal cylinders and after a while a little oil will seep past the rings and get into the combustion chamber. This happens on all 4 stroke motors of this design. It should not smoke for more than a minute or two however.

My brother just bought a new 30hp E-tec and loves it. He's putting on a 13' Whaler (low transom), so it was strongly suggested he buy the lightest weight engine he could find (and that was the E-tec by far; the Yamaha 4S was some 50lbs heavier). It was also lower in price than the Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki and close to the Tohatsu so he went E-tec.

My 40HP Honda four stroke is a thing of beauty! Smooth, dependable, powerful, and unbelievably quiet .... you literally can not hear it when its idling.

From what the local marine mechanic tells me, Honda and Yamaha are the best .... he doesn't like Mercury .... says he services mercury motors 5 to 1 more than any other brand.

We have yet to replace a powerhead or a gearcase on one of the smaller ETECs. They go out and we see them for routine service. Most folks don't seem to want to wait for 300 hours before they come in. Some do.
ETECS have the same serious 2-stroke power and acceleration and will normally run higher pitch propellers due to the gear ratio they run. That translates into better top end in most cases.
None of the post 2006 engines will put up with neglect or abuse like older engines would/will. All brands cost more to service as well. Get water in your gasoline and leave it in the engine and your bill will be higher with a 4-stroke than an ETEC.....more moving parts in the 4-strokes.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Took my new F60/40J out for the first time today. That Yamaha 4 stroke purs. I hope it lives up to the Yamaha 4 stroke reputation.

It's awesome isn't it? I haven't spent much time with a 60/40 jet. Once that I remember. On a shallow rock bottom river. Boy, I was highly impressed with it. Absolutely the smoothest motor in the class that I have ever operated....and the neat thing was the troll speed adjustment on the tiller. Drops trolling RPM down to around 500 RPM at the push of a button. I think it has increments of 50 RPM from normal speed (~800) to around 500, and in the other direction to around 1100. Pretty sweet motor!

Now if they actually build what I call the "SHO 25"...I'll buy one. I love my old F25, but don't like the twin cylinder's inherent vibration. Other than that, it's great.