50 HP Mercury Lower Unit Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemech048

Reaction score
I have installed a 50 HP 1999 Mercury on my tin. The question I have is when I shift the unit into reverse the prop is locked in both directions. I think that is how it is suppose to be. However when I shift into forward it is locked when you try and turn the motor counterclockwise but when you turn it clockwise it makes a clicking sound and the prop will slip and not turn the motor over. Any help would be appreciated! I have checked the prop in fact I have replaced it with a Stainless that I was going to do anyway.

Sounds like you need to adjust the cable for the shifter at the engine. Better fix it before you wear out the clutch dogs don't ask me how I know this.

I took the cable loose and shifted it into gear and had the same result. So the clutch dogs may be already damaged. Unless the shifting linkage that connects the lower unit to the power head needs adjusted.

Yeah could be I went thur 3 lower units this summer well they need dog clutchs in them and I don't know how to change them some I took a lower unit from a motor I am rebuilding and found one on ebay cheap 60 bucks cheap so hopefully it will last it was a new unit off 94 motor it has a better gear ratio thn the other two 84 and 85 year model lowes

I'm gonna say that its ok and supposed to do that .All of the larger outboards I've had have done that. 200 merc,45 merc 88 rude.
Why I'm not sure.

Latest posts